Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Probate to Death Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pegsolocity

Pegsolocity Report 17 Jun 2008 19:00

Can somebody help please?

I have the probate for John Thomas Barber deceased dated 9th July 1962 but I cannot find his name in the death indexes, is there a reason for this?

I do not know his age at death but I know he was living in Staffordshire at the time of his death

Thanks in Advance

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Jun 2008 19:05

Probate could be a while after death.
How far back have you searched?
Do you have a death date?.... and area

Gwyn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Jun 2008 19:06

There is this one:-

John T. Barber, age 60
Dec. qtr. 1961, Stoke, 9b, 635

If his estate was complicated it may have taken a while before probate was granted. Was the date given the date of probate or does it say that is when he died?

Kath. x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 17 Jun 2008 19:07

Probate can be take place many months or even years after a death,,depending what is written in a Will,,,,,you may have to widen your search for a death,

The date is when the Probate was finalised,

I have 3 ,one Probate was 2 years after death because of the written Will,

Pegsolocity

Pegsolocity Report 17 Jun 2008 19:09

I have searched back at least 20 yrs.

The date on the document is date of probate, it does not state date of death. I would say he had a will and his estate was not large so I would not expect a huge delay to probate from death

Kay????

Kay???? Report 17 Jun 2008 19:12

It may have gone to Probate because there was NO Will.or it was contested, there may have been property involved with clauses,

Pegsolocity

Pegsolocity Report 17 Jun 2008 19:16

Hi Kath

Where did you find John T. Barber, age 60
Dec. qtr. 1961, Stoke, 9b, 635 record as this looks about right? I have searched freeBMD and ancestry.co.uk and I get nothing returned.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Jun 2008 19:16

Could he have died overseas, ...on holiday perhaps?
My uncle did.

Gwyn

Sam

Sam Report 17 Jun 2008 19:18

Linda, FreeBMD doesn't cover upto 1961, you would need to search the full indexes to find the death.

Sam x

Pegsolocity

Pegsolocity Report 17 Jun 2008 19:19

Thank you for your help everybody

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Jun 2008 19:29

Sorry Linda - I went offline for a bit. I found the death on Ancestry in the complete index. I just looked at each qtr. going back from the date of probate. You can't just put in a name and get a result on the complete index.

Kath. x

Pegsolocity

Pegsolocity Report 17 Jun 2008 19:36

Hi Kath

I am not sure where I am going wrong then! I have UK membership to Ancestry.co.uk but I am unable to see any specific 'complete' index.

Could I ask you also check for a possible marriage to Moore for between 1921 to 1950

Thanks

Pegsolocity

Pegsolocity Report 17 Jun 2008 19:42

OK, now I understand. I have located the death record now on Ancestry. I will look for the marriage now.

Thanks again for your help

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Jun 2008 19:43

If you go onto Ancestry home page, about half way down the page there is a line which says....Go directly to UK birth, marriage and death records. Click on there. You will get three boxes....One for births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1983, one for the partially transcribed index (FreeBMD), and one for births marriages and deaths after 1984.

I'm afraid I don't have time to go through all the marriages between 1921 and 1950 as this would take a considerable time.

Kath. x

Pegsolocity

Pegsolocity Report 17 Jun 2008 20:25

Hi Kath

Thanks for taking the time out to explain that to me. I can at least say that I have learned something new today, for several months now I could not understand why I could not find the records through the usual search engines.

I now also understand how long it takes, I've checked 6 years now for marriage and no luck yet, I think I will search 2-3 yrs per evening. Not absolutely sure it's a Moore he married but based on the info' I have been given it's my best guess to date

Thanks once again to all who helped

Linda