Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian army WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mavis

Mavis Report 17 Jun 2008 19:25

Does anyone have access to WW1 canadian records, I have a marriage of a William George Rowlands 27y, Soldier Canadian army, residence, Bramshott [Hants], father John Rowlands, Miner
took place 12 June 1918 in Grayshott [Hants] to Beatrice May Young, found Youngs ok. I have no idea if William was born here or in Canada, Rowlands is fairly common in Wales but no William George 1890 / 1891 the only one is 1894 which I dont think is right.
Would be so pleased to find a Birth record or a army record that might help. Many thanks if you can help

Mavis

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 17 Jun 2008 19:30

Attestation papers are free here:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/index-e.html

The closest one that I can see was William, no middle name, born 3 July 1893, Llannfairfechan?, Wales. (Oh how i hate those Welsh place names!)

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 17 Jun 2008 20:54

Mavis,
if you find your man on the website that Margaret mentioned its well worth requesting a copy.....i did a couple of years ago and was really pleased that i did..it gave me so much info as well as a copy of the book of rememberance,

Karen x

Mavis

Mavis Report 18 Jun 2008 08:06

Thank you for help. it may interest other people with Canadian connections to WW1 that canadian army has close connections to Bramshott Church and Common in WW2 aswell, there is a cemetery for soldiers who died of the Flu in 1918 a list is on line.

Mavis