Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

JUST A QUESTION !

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Granny oouch

Granny oouch Report 25 Jun 2008 01:04

Please could anyone educate me, if a child born in 1845
had unmarried parents would the birth be registered in the mothers and the fathers surname. I found two enteries in the same q of the same year different surnames, could this be the same child.
hope this makes sense!!

Regards.

Bev

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 25 Jun 2008 01:20

Possible, if the parents married very soon after the birth, or if originally the father wasnt around for some reason,for the first registration. An unmarried mother even today is not allowed to register a child unless the father is present.
Otherwise you could say the father was any one couldnt you?
If you apply for the birth cert for one registration just mention the other and they may tell you if its the same child by cross referencing.

Granny oouch

Granny oouch Report 25 Jun 2008 01:30

Thanks Nightowl, I found a marriage for the parents in the q after the birth reg and just wanted to clarify that it could have been the same child.
Im very new to this so you have been a great help.

Bev