Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted mother's birth record?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roisin

Roisin Report 25 Jun 2008 20:52

Patricia Anne Griffin (d.o.b. 18/04/1936) was adopted by Albert and Stephanie Mary Griffin. She died last year still firmly refusing to give me any information referring to her birth parents. I would really like to know about my heritage. Please could you guys point me at the starting post? She was adopted in England, I think maybe in London.

LouT

LouT Report 25 Jun 2008 21:04

Roisin im not sure there is much you can do i am afraid unless you know what her birth name was.
As far as i am aware only the adopted person themselves can access the information on the adoption papers including their birth name i will double check this if i can.....but im sure that was what i was told.
I will check the birth record and see if that name has a birth in which case her birth name might have been the same.
Feel free to PM me with any info you might have as this will help.
Lou x

LouT

LouT Report 25 Jun 2008 21:06

i have PM'd you.

Victoria

Victoria Report 25 Jun 2008 21:20

Have you got her adoption papers? On my uncles it tells you who the contract is between ie the name of the adoptive parents and in my case the name of the mother and birth name of the child. This has only recently been passed to me as my uncle passed away and the family know I am mad about family history!

Best Wishes

Jane

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Jun 2008 09:03

Just for the record,,,,Adoption records are permantly closed upon the death of an Adoptee and no correspondence will be entered into,that information is only privvy to the Adoptee,

Frances

Frances Report 11 Aug 2008 12:00

If your parent or grandparent was adopted in the UK, but died without seeking access to their birth records then, in terms of the Adoption and Children's Act, you as a descendant are denied access to this information.

However, a group of people who are descendants of adopted persons/parents believe we should be entitled to know our biologial heritage and therefore a private case, challenging the interpretation of the intent of this Act is due to be brought to Court shortly.

In support of this ground breaking case we are gathering information on how many people are affected and who would benefit from a successful outcome to this case.

If you are a descendant of an adopted person who has tried to get access to birth information and hit a brick wall or, if you have tried and been successful, then we would like to hear from you. Please reply to this message and I will get back to you.

Hope to hear from you soon.