Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Branch progression

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 26 Jun 2008 09:51

Hi,

I want to make progress with this branch of my tree.

I have William Strong (String) born c1804 (according to the 1851 census) Arksey, Yorkshire England. His wife was Elizabeth. The only marriage I can find that fits is William Strong and Elizabeth Duce is Doncaster 4Q 1844.

However, I do not know who either of their parents were so even if I order the cerificate will I know that I have got the correct certificate.
The other thing that concerns me is that assuming the census dates are correct, then they would have been well into their 30's when they married which is much later than most of my ancestors.

Please could someone advise me if I am missing something obvious in my reasoning. I have been wanting to order this certificate for a while, but I would like a second opinion as to whether this will help before I go a head.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help,

Sandra

Sam

Sam Report 26 Jun 2008 09:53

1851 for reference purposes:

Name: William String
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1804
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Arksey, Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Rotherham
Town: Rotherham
County/Island: Yorkshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image

Registration district: Rotherham
Sub registration district: Beighton
ED, institution, or vessel: 5g
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 119
Household Members: Name Age
William String 47
Elizabeth Strong 45
Ellen Strong 5
Emma Strong 9
John Strong 4

The birth certificate of one of their children will confirm Elizabeths maiden name.

Sam x

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 26 Jun 2008 10:10

At this early date, many many marriages were not registered, so you may never find a certificate.
The advice to try and buy a birth certificate for one of the children is good. Once you know the mothers maiden name, you can then look in the parish records for the marriage. This won't give Elizabeth's fathers name unfortunately, but they often used family members as witnesses, which can help.
That way at least you would know the area, so that would help you to eliminate wrong certificates

Linda

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 26 Jun 2008 10:14

Hi

Thanks Sam,

I thought I was missing something really obvious. My gg grandmother was Ellen Strong, so I will try and find her birth details. However, having looked on Ancestry, I am struggling to find her - maybe the dates on the census were further out than I anticipated.

Sandra

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 26 Jun 2008 10:17

Goldthorpe is in the parish of Bolton upon Dearn

IGI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles
Search Results | Download

JOHN HENRY STRONG Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
16 MAR 1845 Bolton Upon Dearne, Yorkshire,

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM STRONG Family
Mother: ELIZABETH

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 26 Jun 2008 10:20

His is the only baptism there
the Hugh wallis batch numbers show
C010832 1813-1853
M010832 1813-1836
so the marriage would not be transcribed on the IGI, assuming they married there of course.

The baptism for Emma should have been there though, but it isn't

The 1851 census gives Ellen as being born in Barmbrough, Yorkshire, England

I assume this is
Barnbrough, unfortunately the parish records for the IGI are not transcribed for the years you need

Barnbrough
C039791 1557-1837 M039791 1558-1837
C039792 1813-1837 M039792 1813-1836
M039793 1731-1754

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 26 Jun 2008 10:29

Hi,

Do you think this could be my gg grandmother and it has been mistranscribed?

Hele Strong
Year of Registration: 1846
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Doncaster
County: Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume: 22
Page: 91 (click to see others on page

Sandra

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Jun 2008 10:42

It is Helen on image.

You can look at the images on Ancestry

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 Jun 2008 10:46

Birth??
Emma Jane Duce 1842 Jul-Aug-Sep Doncaster Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire - West

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 26 Jun 2008 10:52

Hi,

I did look at the image. It was the Ellen Helen diference that I was refering to. Sorry I should have made my self more clear. I would guess that this is a name that is commonly wrongly registed.

Sandra

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 26 Jun 2008 10:56

Jim, you are a star - this is begining to look good. This fits in with both the 1851 census returns and the marriage registration which I had already found.

Many thanks, Sandra

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 Jun 2008 11:06

All speculation but??
death
John Duce 1843 Apr-May-Jun Leeds (1837-1929) Yorkshire - West Riding
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Benjamin Duce abt 1839 Yorkshire, England Bramley Ward, Yorkshire
View Record
Elizabeth Duce abt 1811 Yorkshire, England Bramley Ward, Yorkshire
View Record
John Duce abt 1811 Yorkshire, England Bramley Ward, Yorkshire
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Benjaman Duce John abt 1841 Armley, Yorkshire, England Grandson Leeds, Yorkshire

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 26 Jun 2008 11:25

Hi Jim,

I really appreciate your efforts on my behalf. I am assuming that Bramley is in Leeds and if so I don't think that it is my family. I think my Strongs/Duces came from the Rotherham/Doncaster/Goldthorpe area. I was born in Rotherham and this is where my g grandmother was born. Ironically, there is a Bramley in Rotherham. However, it is a village so I doubt that it would equate with the reference you have found. But thanks for trying.

Sandra

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 26 Jun 2008 11:47

Hi,

Would some one just confirm that the birth reference for Helen Strong is most likely to be my ggrandmother. I am still relatively new to this game and not as confident in my beliefs as I would like to be!!

Sandra

chrisa

chrisa Report 26 Jun 2008 12:48

Hi Sandra

My Gr gr gr grandmother was baptised Eleanor, in the parih records for her childrens baptisms she is named as Helen Ellen & Eleanor.

I think Helen & Ellen ( may be wrong) both originate from Eleanor.

So if she was registered as Helen people may have called her Ellen.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 26 Jun 2008 13:02

I have an Ellen / Helen / Nell - seriously tiddles me off - but it's one and the same woman!

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 26 Jun 2008 13:19

Hi all,

Why is nothing ever streight forward! All I want to do is order a birth certificate for my great grandmother inaccordance with Jims suggestion at the beginning of this thread. I just want to be as sure as I can be that the certificate that I am ordering is the one that is likely to be my great grandmothers.

I would really appreciate if someone could check that there is not a more suitable match.

thanks again, Sandra