Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have received a death certificate - Can you help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 26 Jun 2008 13:51

I have received a death cert for my GG grandfather who died in Jan 1871. William Spain aged 40. St Bartholomews Hospital, Rochester, Kent.
His occupation was Stillman? at Chemical works.
Cause of death 'Hemorrhage from fall (accidental)'
'Information recieved from Witt? Bell Deputy Coroner for Rochester inquest held 9th January 1871'
Is there a way I can find the inquest report?
and does anyone know what a Stillman is?
Thanks
Chris

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 26 Jun 2008 14:19

The inquest report would not have survived, but they were always reported in the local newspapers.
The newspapers are held on film at the nearest library (not records office) which has a family history section.
Google to find the library and if you can't go, email them with the details. They usually offer a look up service which is not expensive. they will send you a copy of the report from the paper

Linda

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 26 Jun 2008 14:23

Thanks Linda I will see what the nearest library to Rochester is.

Thanks Cynthia that sounds like it could be right.

I am off back to work now but will check back later

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 26 Jun 2008 14:24

I googled stillman chemical works

this page sounds as if it could be the sort of thing

http://www.glias.org.uk/Chemicals_from_Coal/PREFACE.HTM

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 26 Jun 2008 17:40

Thanks Linda I will have a look at that site.

I have just emailed the Archive Office in Rochester as when I phoned the Local Library they say they do not undertake searches of the newspapers there but to contact the Archive people.
So will let you know how I get on.

Thank you all for your help
Chris

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 26 Jun 2008 17:46

I take it you use Cityark for the Medway records?

I wonder if anything would be mentioned on his burial record? I know it's unlikely as they were standardised forms by then but it might be worth looking.

Jill

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 26 Jun 2008 23:39

Hi Jill
I hadn't looked at Cityark but just have and I think I am being a bit thick but dont understand how to use it?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 27 Jun 2008 12:59

Hi Chris

Pick a church and click on the blue highlighted area. It will come up with a series of boxes - next to which you find the records. So marriages tend to come first I think and then births, then burials so just scroll down the page until you find the burials and click on the box that covers the range of years you want.

You then end up with a long list of pdf files. You know the range of years covered so take a guess at where in the list that might be and click on that. You then need to work your way backwards or forwards on the pdf files until you find the relevant page. It's a bit of a clunky site but once you get used to it you'll be fine. Just play around on it for a while until you get the idea.

The marriage certs are great by the way because you get to see their signatures.

Jill

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 27 Jun 2008 18:56

Jill
Thank you so much. What a great site! I haven't found my spains on there but have found some interesting baptisms for Dartford for another branch of the family.
Wow!
Thanks again
Chris