Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

prison records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

tinkers

tinkers Report 26 Jun 2008 14:59

is it possible to view prison records from the late 1980s and early 1990s if so where can i look please

many thanx

robertpplane

robertpplane Report 26 Jun 2008 15:29

Generally there is a 100 year embargo on personal records. You could try the UK National Archives and see if they have such records and whether they would release them.

tinkers

tinkers Report 26 Jun 2008 15:32

thanx robert i thought that was the case but wasnt sure

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 26 Jun 2008 16:21

I had to write to the Home Office to request if it was possible to see a deaceased close relative's prison records from 1950s to 1980. Unfortunately the answer was no.

tinkers

tinkers Report 26 Jun 2008 18:35

thanx for ur reply tracey

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 27 Jun 2008 09:49

I also wrote to the HM Prison Service where the HM Home Office replyed to say that even if the person I was looking for had any records, they wouldn't tell me due to Data Protection Laws.

Bit annoying!

Kathryn

Elaine Margaret

Elaine Margaret Report 27 Jun 2008 13:24

I am trying to find records for a relation from 1891, I know he was in Armley prison Leeds, but not what for or for how long, I have trawled through the national archives and found nothing, has anyone any idea what I should do next?

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 27 Jun 2008 13:51

Elaine Margaret,

West Yorkshire Archives would be your first stop:

Prison Records

Wakefield Headquarters holds the archives of HMP Wakefield (the West Riding House of Correction), HMP Leeds (Armley Gaol) and HMP New Hall. The series of prisoner records are not complete in all cases, and all prisoner registers are closed to the public for 30 years. If you have a specific enquiry relating to prison records, please contact us for further advice. Even if we cannot find a record for your ancestor as a prisoner, we may be able to use court records to trace the trial.

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/index.asp?pg=ablocw.html

Elaine Margaret

Elaine Margaret Report 27 Jun 2008 15:51

Thanks Keith,the relative I,m looking for is a Walter Webster and he was on the 1891 census as being in Armley and I know he died in1893, I just wanted to find out what he was convicted of, and how long his sentence was,
Thanks again.

Al M

Al M Report 7 Jul 2008 13:20

Hi,

I recently got prison records for an inmate in 1921, so they do give them sometimes.

Al