Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

AVG Anti Virus Prog

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy Rita

Wendy Rita Report 26 Jun 2008 20:02

Hi, Could someone help me with the AVG Anti Virus, its telling me the Manager Database Update Disabled. How do I turn on please, I can't seem to find it.

Thanks.
Wendy R

Paul

Paul Report 26 Jun 2008 20:39

I think AVG FREE 8 is deeply flawed. Its their equivalent of iTunes 5 or that version of ZoneAlarm that caused so many problems.

I've had a couple of tries at installing it and my PC just hangs on boot up, so if you're only having update problems you're doing well. AVG's own forum has a load of problems posted and not many solutions.

My way out was to un-install it in safe mode and re-install 7.5.

Heather

Heather Report 26 Jun 2008 21:45

But 7.5 isnt being updated Paul

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 26 Jun 2008 22:05

Are talking about AVG free edition or paid version?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jun 2008 22:23

The free version was withdrawn at the end of May

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 26 Jun 2008 22:33

Wendy if you cant see it on the bottom of the screen (it has a red ! when it's off) then go into your programmes. All you need to do is go into it and click on update and it'll open up again.

I havent had any problems with this new free version 8.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 26 Jun 2008 22:35

the 7.5 free version was withdrawn , and replaced by the 8

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 26 Jun 2008 22:37

Paul
If you go to the AVG website click on the second link down and not the top one. I tried for ages on that top link and got no-where.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Jun 2008 07:59

Latest free version is AVG Free Edition 8.0.101

Get it from here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/

From experience with various free downloads, File Hippo seems to work when other links don't.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Jun 2008 10:41

MGHS,

Yes I use that as well. It only takes a minute or so to run and tells you at a glance whats new.