Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My family tree Notes field won't export to Ancestr

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne in Perth

Lynne in Perth Report 27 Jun 2008 12:17

Hi Everyone,

When I export my family tree from GR and import into Ancestry, the Notes field doesn't seem to come across. I have heaps of Notes for individuals in my GR family tree - how can I get them into Ancestry without copying and pasting them all individually?

Thanks,
Lynne

Lynne in Perth

Lynne in Perth Report 28 Jun 2008 03:46

n

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 28 Jun 2008 11:41

GR use a wierd and wonderful old GEDCOM system.

Settings for character set, tags and sources are not always compatible with the newer systems other sites use.

Best to check whether the problem lies with the export from Genes or the import to Ancestry,.

Open the GEDCOM file GR sent in Notepad. Are the notes you added in the file? If they are the export is ok but the charcter set or tags might be unsuitable for the Ancestry software to read properly.

If the notes are missing in the file then the export from GR went wrong.

The best way is to use a family tree programme, both GR and Ancestry are online tree builders but you don't have an easy way to create a backup of your tree and keep it safe on disc/stick. By relying on third parties to store your tree you risk losing your tree data and/or access to your tree.

Glen