Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problem solved !!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 27 Jun 2008 16:45

Had a problem with the very late birth registration for a pair of sisters. They were born in 1923 and 1924 but only registered a few months after the marriage of their mother in 1928.

My first thought was that they were illegitimate and the husband had adopted them when he married the mother.

I have today, recieved both birth certs and they give the year of registration as 1929 with the birth years as 1923 and 1924. The father is recorded as the new husband of the mother.

In the section that says...When registered....it says,

29th March 1929 on the authority of the Registrar General.

In the section that says....Name, surname and maiden name of mother, it says.....********, now the wife of ****

Can I assume !!!! that the parents had to make a "special" registration because of the very late date?

Would there have been a fine imposed?

Kathlyn

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 27 Jun 2008 16:54

Hi Johnathon,

No, they are not listed on the GRO for the actual birth years.

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 27 Jun 2008 16:59

In the section that gives the mothers surname and maiden name it only gives the one, which I presume is her maiden name.

Kathlyn

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Jun 2008 17:17

Kathlyn

They may have been reregistrations under the 1927 Legitimacy Act.

I know you said they don't appear in the index for the original birth years but did you look for the birth's registered in the mother's maiden name?

When the parents finally married, and subject to certain conditions, then the children could be reregisted with the father's name.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~framland/acts/1926legitAct.htm

Ohhh....Just realised we have "chatted" about this one before :))) lol

Glad you got it sorted!

Chris

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 27 Jun 2008 17:51

Thanks for that Chris. I have made a note of the website for future ref.

Thanks again,

kathlyn

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 27 Jun 2008 17:54

Chris,

Would a fine have been imposed for the late registration. Not sure when it was a legal requirement to register births.