Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Electoral Roll please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tox

Tox Report 27 Jun 2008 20:19

I searched the 1949 Electoral Roll for Worksop Nottinghamshire and came across the family I was searching for, on the Fiche it said:
Brown Harold E
Taylor Alice B-J
other family members at another address:
Taylor Charles W-J
does anyone know what the -J is please, this is not part of my ancestors name.
Thanks
Regards
Tox

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Jun 2008 21:04

I suspect it relates to Jury Service..............

But the best people to ask would be the Electoral people at your local Town Hall.................

Tox

Tox Report 27 Jun 2008 21:22

Thanks Reggie, could be, there was a few in the same street though, I think Iwill take your advice and when/if I find the answer, I will post it on the tips board.
Thanks for replying.
Regards
Tox

Alan

Alan Report 27 Jun 2008 21:42

The J denotes that a persons a Juror,I queried this with a member of staff when I came accross It while searching through electorial registrar books.

Tox

Tox Report 27 Jun 2008 22:14

Hi Alan, thanks for the information, must be so they can check who has served on a jury and those who haven't.

Regards
Tox