Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

sorted thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dee from manchester

dee from manchester Report 27 Jun 2008 20:32

does anyone know what a roving tenter is please
thanks Dee

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 27 Jun 2008 20:45

Tenter / Tenterer 1) Tenterer - Someone who, after cloth was dyed, stretched it on a frame, called a "Tent" for drying . This frame was fitted with hooks known as "Tenterhooks" - about which we all know! Photo (1950) 2) The term was also used for a person who looked after or watched something. .i.e. Tip tenter - person inspecting finished shuttle tips after manufacture. (Tenter - from Tender, to tend) More Info.

This is from Old occupations site

This is the link if you do not know of it

http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/c2.html

dee from manchester

dee from manchester Report 27 Jun 2008 21:34

hi bpc and george
thanks for the info i had never heard of a roving tenter before and i will look at the sites you suggested
thanks Dee

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 27 Jun 2008 21:35

A roving tenter worked in the cardroom of a cotton mill They usually had more than one machine to look after with the help of a little tenter
The cotton was carded then went onto the intermediate machines then on the rovers The bobbins then went upto the spinning room
Aw noes this fra wen aw warkt int'mill

bren

dee from manchester

dee from manchester Report 27 Jun 2008 22:13

hi bren
thanks again for your info
Dee