Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Certificate Ordering

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jun 2008 23:36

Where do i look on line to order birth certificates and pay online? I have done the print off and post off but someone mentioned it could all be ordered online...

Thanks Jackie

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 27 Jun 2008 23:46

Jackie....You can order BMD certs online here.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

You will need the Year ,qtr, district ,volume and page number, as well as name of person whos cert. you are ordering, for marriages only one name is needed as long as you have all the other details.

All the info you need can be found at freeBMD for certs. up to about 1920, after that you will need to access Ancestry complete BMD index or ask for a look up for the same info.

They cost £7.00 each, and usually arrive in about a week to 10 days. earlier if your lucky. When filling in form online, and asked if the GRO reference is known, make sure you tick the box.

Happy shopping

Nicky

Joy

Joy Report 27 Jun 2008 23:47

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/order_certificates/index.asp

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 28 Jun 2008 00:06

Thank you to you all! Done it!
I have ordered before but by the post! I am gonna get in trouble now for ordering too many, this is too easy! LOL

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 28 Jun 2008 00:15

I know how you feel Jackie....its just too easy to click on "add to basket" and go back and order another one, currently waiting for 3 from GRO, with a despatch date of 1st July, and one from Cheshire BMD, which is nearly 2 weeks now, they used to come back by return of post, but are very busy at the mo, hence my long wait...................and I`m just so impatient.....

Nicky

Joy

Joy Report 28 Jun 2008 09:08

You're welcome.

I ordered some recently online from the GRO, for the first time, and was quite impressed by the quick service; one arrived the date that they were supposed to have posted it!

Nine times out of ten, I order from register offices which, in my experience, have given speedy, and helpful service, or from the FRC when I have been in London. I miss the FRC.

Heather

Heather Report 28 Jun 2008 22:23

Oh, how I wish I had some certs to order - I so miss the agony and ecstasy of the wait and then tearing the envelope open ..............:(

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 28 Jun 2008 22:32

Lucky you Heather if you don`t have any certs. to order, my list is that long that i can`t ever see me getting through it........... even if I live to be 100 years old!!

Nicky

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 28 Jun 2008 22:42

I have been told "like i listen" that i can only order certs if i am really really stuck! So this is just my third........ I think i have been very good don't you... Too easy now though, the time to consider has gone when you can just press submit! LOL

Peter

Peter Report 28 Jun 2008 23:43

Jacqueline,

It may be a counsel of perfection but I would say: always order a certificate. Without this vital confirmation you cannot be sure you have the right person. Even censuses usually only lead to deductions, rarely to certainty.

Peter