Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there anything I can do?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kim

kim Report 28 Jun 2008 13:16

I was wondering if there is anything I could do to try to trace people born in the 1930's?
My mother has always thought she had half siblings and having received my grandfathers Army records if confirms three children
Mary Ann Fairclough - Born 1935 Liverpool
Thomas Fairclough - Born 1937 Liverpool
& Elsie Elizabeth Fairclough - Born 1938 Bermondsey
I have traced their birth which shows Mothers Maiden name Bore and traced a marriage of William Fairclough and Elizabeth Bore.
in 1939 my grandfather gives his next of kin as Mary Ann (daughter) but she is only 4 at the time and I wondered if Elizabeth had died (there is an Elizabeth Fairclough death registered in Bermondsey the same quarter and year and Elsies birth)
My mother would dearly love to try to trace these three half siblings but I do not know where to start, If Elizabeth did die then who brought up these children, my grandfather was away in the army....
Could anyone point me in any direction of where to start a search???

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Jun 2008 13:38

I'm not saying this is the right marriage but there is this marriage in 1956 for Mary A. Fairclough which could be a possible as it would be when she was about 21 (I've found that at this time most people waited until they were about 21):-

Mary A. Fairclough, spouse Leslie J. McLellan
March qtr. 1956, Crosby, 10c, 206

Kath. x

kim

kim Report 28 Jun 2008 14:31

Indeed Kathleen, I have just been through the marriages too and have come up with this one, my mum could remember her partner being a Les and they had a son Steven, just searched on here and would you believe Steven came up!! So waiting to see if I hear anything back now.......
Thank you for looking - I didn't have any joy with Elsie or Thomas though did you?
Thanks Again

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Jun 2008 14:39

I don't know whether or not Thomas had a middle name, but if he did there is this marriage:-

Thomas W. Fairclough, spouse Lloyd
June qtr. 1958, Liverpool N.,10d, 216

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Jun 2008 14:50

There is this marriage for an Elsie Fairclough (no middle initial given):-

Elsie Fairclough, spouse Thomas A. Hopson
March qtr. 1959, Ormskirk, 10f, 260

Kath. x

kim

kim Report 28 Jun 2008 14:53

Unfortunately not Chris, It does state Daughter in brackets but confusingly it also states his marital statues as Married... (so why not list your wife as next of kin)
On later papers Mary Ann is crossed out and new wife is added as Next of Kin....
On every paper it states married, never widowed.

kim

kim Report 28 Jun 2008 14:54

Ohhh Kath Thankyou, I didn't see that!
I will look into that one also xx