Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Business in Hincklley, Leicestershire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarzx

Sarzx Report 29 Jun 2008 00:13

My great grandma apparently used to run/manage a shop within Hinckley. We are not sure of the exact years, but I know it was about 1965-ish as my mother remembers going there when she was little. The shop was located on the Upper Bond Street (now G.Sellars funeral parlour) and a website has let me to believe that it was part of the co-op.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where I can go to get further information?

Sarah x

Hilary

Hilary Report 29 Jun 2008 09:12

Hi Sarah, what about old phone books, the business would have had a phone I would have thought.
Hilary.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Jun 2008 09:26

The local library or family history group may have records about local businesses.

Gwyn

Sheila

Sheila Report 29 Jun 2008 10:24

Contact the Hinckley Times. They are always looking for stories.

They published a letter for me last year which led to me making contact with a whole branch of my family that we'd had no contact with since the 1950s.

I don;t have the contact details now, but they are part of the Mirror Group and pretty much everyone in the area sees the paper.

Good luck

S

Sheila

Sheila Report 29 Jun 2008 17:10

www.hinckley-times.co.uk

S

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 29 Jun 2008 22:56

Greeting's Sarah.

Try this link :~

http://www.hinckley.netfirms.com/Hinckley%20-%20C.htm#CoOp

Then scroll down the page to wards the bottom
you'll find a reference to Co-op building in Lower Bond Street plus a Photo

MIKE.

Sarzx

Sarzx Report 14 Aug 2008 00:16

Thank you for that website, it is excellent! I have tried searching through the phonebooks but I get lost with it all...I'm there for hours! Also we are unsure if the shop would've been registered under her name. To be honest, I don't really know what I'm looking for! Just clarification I suppose...

Sarah x

Sheila

Sheila Report 14 Aug 2008 15:14

Still think writing to the Hinckley Times would be a good idea. They published my letter and I found four second cousins there had been no contact with since WWII.

1965 should be easy for the good people of Hinckley with long memories.

S