Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

dna information

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 29 Jun 2008 12:33

Hi everyone
Have just recieved my dna results from Ancestry from my paternel line, y33 test. The closest match is 3 markers difference, stating the link is within 9 generations. Can anyone tell me if the match could be as close as my gggrandmother, the results have been suprising and could solve a mystery
Thanks- Martin

Annette

Annette Report 29 Jun 2008 20:01

Martin,

Can you please explain what the "3 markers difference" means?

Thanks

Ivy

Ivy Report 29 Jun 2008 21:13

There is a blog about it which directed me to this page:

http://dna.ancestry.com/faq.aspx#groups

Paternal tests offer to check 33 points on the Y chromosome, or 46 (for a bit more money).

Martin, did you do the Y33 test, so that they have identified someone with 30 identical (proteins?) and 3 different?

If they say that these differences would have come about in 9 generations then is it the case that you would need to consider which men could share your father's father's father's .... (x9) ancestor (women are out of the equation, since they do not inherit the y chromosome)?

I'm interested to hear any answers to your question.

Martin

Martin Report 30 Jun 2008 17:36

Hi
It was the y33 test, and all the information given is that it is within 9 generations, so it is possible that the link is 5 generations. 2-3 markers show a close link. It was suprising that the closest match is living in Florida, from Norwegian Ancestors. my ggrandfather was base born, the only details we have is that he was concieved in south Wales, A quick look on the 1871 census shows quite a few Norwegian sailors in Cardiff , so who knows

Ivy

Ivy Report 30 Jun 2008 17:55

That's really positive, it shows how useful these tests can be.

I had heard a UK researcher on radio 4 one morning talking about comparisons of y chromosome dna of men sharing the same surnames. Where it was sufficiently rare and localised, they had managed to demonstrate the likely illegitimacy rate amongst the group (eg a core of say 60% sharing very similar y chromosome markers, with the other 40% showing little correlation at all). With names like Jones etc (surnames taken relatively recently in large numbers by unrelated Welshmen) the dna was much more widely differentiated.

I wonder if there are any well-written books on the topic that clearly explain the science behind it?