Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do I start?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SuzyD

SuzyD Report 29 Jun 2008 22:16

Hi,
I just need some pointers on how I can trace a relative, who may or may not still be alive. I can not find any records.
I see that some organisations will help you such as the Salvation Army - but they will not help if the person is a father who wasn't married to the mother :-(
All I know is the person's name, an address where they were living about 10 years ago and date of birth but not the year (I could probably guess the year within about a 20year range!!!)
I know it's a bit vague but if anyone can offer a ray of hope I would be very grateful.
Many Thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Jun 2008 22:18

If you know an address where the person was 10 years ago you could check the electoral register (at the library closest to the address) to see how long they stayed at the address (if they were registered to vote). You could also write a letter to the present occupier of the address saying you are looking for the present whereabouts of this person just in case they know where he is now.

Kath. x

SuzyD

SuzyD Report 29 Jun 2008 22:33

Thanks Kath - I think I will try the letter first.
Many Thanks for your advice.