Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hiding Living Relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 29 Jun 2008 22:32

If i change my tree to hide living relatives when i show someone my tree,can i then change back to include names at a later date.
Thank you

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Jun 2008 23:20

I don't agree with "hiding living relatives". I don't trust anyone to keep those names hidden. I just don't enter any living people on my tree. They're of no use to anyone doing genealogy.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 29 Jun 2008 23:24

I'm with Margaret. The only living in my tree are myself & my parents as I need us to link my grandparents. None of our names are on here, our DOB's are wrong & places of birth are shown as Null

Annette

Annette Report 29 Jun 2008 23:30

For my living relatives I don't have any specific information but I don't trust the hiding option so I don't use that.

Mine are like this:

First Name: Living
Surname: Relative

I give an approximate year of birth (either rounded up or down) and just the Country of birth.

Maureen

Maureen Report 29 Jun 2008 23:52

When i started my tree i entered all my relations living or dead including full names.I don't have my tree on any other FTM so i just wanted to know can i change back from hidden names after i have shown some one my tree.

I have had plenty of people show me their tree which includes every detail of their life,which i would not do only name and place of birth.

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 30 Jun 2008 06:47

Maureen - yes you can

Peter

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 30 Jun 2008 07:18

You can change it between hide and show as often as you want but don't forget if the other person still has access to your tree they will then be able to see the living relations.

Christine

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 Jun 2008 13:28

When you change the setting to 'hide' it doesn't change any of the underlying data on the GR database. The info you originally input or loaded is still there and can be searched upon and will be used in HotMatches.

All that does happen is that whenever someone views your tree, they will see the details replaced on screen by the word 'Living' It is not so much trusting the option, or not, but rather understanding how it works.

If you want to preserve total anonymity, then either don't put the names on in the first place, or if they are needed to maintain a link with a branch, replace the names with something else.

Maureen

Maureen Report 30 Jun 2008 21:46

Thank you everyone for all your replies