Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Copy of a Will

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 30 Jun 2008 10:22

Were would I be able to obtain a copy of the Will for a Gt Gt Aunty of mine. I just found out she left a staggering GBP 80,000 to her niece.

Forgive me if this is an obvious question but I'm in New Zealand and I don't know these things.

Thanks.

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 30 Jun 2008 13:59

Hi Diane, im new to all of this myself, but in England if thats where your looking there is a central place in Holborn i believe called Holborn House, maybe search it on the net and see what it comes up with if no one else replies

Kirsty

Heather

Heather Report 30 Jun 2008 17:17

What sort of date are you talking about? SOME wills can be downloaded from National Archives online documents and some local sites also have wills to download.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 30 Jun 2008 17:19

Depending where the will was proved, some wills are available online, Wiltshire has an ongoing project to put wills online.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 30 Jun 2008 17:22

Norfolk has older wills online too.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 30 Jun 2008 17:48

Extracts and Admons for England are held at most county Records Offices or Arhives from 1858 to 1942,,but they are not a copy of the actual Will,..it depends where it was proved,,,,,

Diane

Diane Report 1 Jul 2008 09:10

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your useful hints and tips. My Gt Gt Aunty Caroline (aka Lina) Simmonds died in 1953. My mother only recounted this story to me last night. It came as a real surprise to find there was so much money in the family. Shame it never filtered down our branch of the tree! Mum did say her father (Caroline's nephew) was really angry about this turn of events. I can imagine.

Cheers

Diane