Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa M

Lisa M Report 30 Jun 2008 17:45

Does anyone know the exact date of when WW1 finished please.
I have tried to find out myself but don't same to be able to find the date it ended only the date it started and the year it ended.
Many thanks in advance
Lisa

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 Jun 2008 17:48

Wasn't it the eleventh hour of the 11 day of the 11th month 1918?

Lisa M

Lisa M Report 30 Jun 2008 17:56

Thank you very much Margaret and Claire for telling me.
I am really grateful to you both
Lisa xx

Thelma

Thelma Report 30 Jun 2008 18:14

I have a vague feeling the war was never ended officially but certainly an armitice was signed in 1918

The Treaty of Versailles was a peace treaty that officially ended World War I. It was signed on June 28, 1919, exactly 5 years after the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, one of the events that triggered the start of the war. Although the armistice signed on November 11, 1918 put an end to the actual fighting, it took six months of negotiations at the Paris Peace Conference to conclude a peace treaty.

Lisa M

Lisa M Report 30 Jun 2008 18:23

Thank you for that information Jim.
It was very kind of you to take the time to tell me
Kind regards
Lisa