Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa M

Lisa M Report 1 Jul 2008 15:39

I am wondering if anyone knows of any sites i could look on for info about a relative who died in action in WW1.
I would love to hopefully find some pics of him and any other info apart from what i already have about him.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Kind regards
Lisa

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Jul 2008 15:47

I dont think you will find any pictures .have you checked for him on the CWCG site

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 1 Jul 2008 15:48

I assume you have the information from the Commonwealth war graves site

www.cwgc.org/

Try googling the regiment to see if they have a website
His medal card may be on Ancestry, if you don't have access, post his details and someone will look it up
Linda

Lisa M

Lisa M Report 1 Jul 2008 15:54

I have just had a look on the CWGC site Shirley and have found out where he is buried, but all the other info that is on there i already had. But thanks for telling me about the site.

No I don't have ancestry Linda.
Yes i will try googling the regiment to see if i can find anything.
Thanks Linda.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 1 Jul 2008 17:15

Linda

The regiment are more than likely to have a museum/archive and I would suggest that as a first port of call.

However even if they do have info they may have a 100 year closure on an individual's records.

And....As I know to my personal cost....Please be aware that, due to the growing interest in family history, many are now charging quite 'hefty' fees for supplying info that they are allowed to provide.

Good luck

Chris

Joy

Joy Report 1 Jul 2008 18:24

You could try asking on here:
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 1 Jul 2008 18:31

I contacted the CWGC about my great uncle who died in WWI and a kind volunteer sent me a photo of his gravestone.
The added bonus was it had his parents, my great grandparents' headstone in the same image.

Sue

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 1 Jul 2008 18:49

You may find his photo in the newspaper local to where he lived at the time of his enlistment.

It's worthwhile contacting the local studies section of the library local to him, as this is the most likely place to hold them (and of course there's always Collingdale - till it moves!!).

Lisa M

Lisa M Report 1 Jul 2008 19:52

Thank you very much Joy, Sue and snowdrops.
I did get some info off the CWGC site, so i will contact them regarding my relative as i now know where he is buried which is a big help.
I will have to find out about the library which would have been local to him.
Thank you for the link Joy, I will have a look now.
Kind regards
Lisa