Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coronation Parade

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 1 Jul 2008 20:31

My dad took part in the Coronation parade in 1953 and i was wondering if there is anywhere I could get confirmation of this from as this might open up to some photos I haven't seen or something.

Any ideas anyone please ?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Jul 2008 21:14

Which parade? There must have been hundreds across the country?

Or..........do you mean the official Procession?

Thelma

Thelma Report 1 Jul 2008 21:21

Here are some videos.

http://www.trooping-the-colour.co.uk/coronation/

Paul

Paul Report 1 Jul 2008 22:15

It was the official procession, He was in the RAF, he was called up during the war, I know he told me there was a big booze after the procession had finished, the booze was compliments of the Queen.

I don't know the name of the regiment or squadron he was in either.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Jul 2008 10:29

My brother was in the RAF too and was part of the Coronation procession. They called for "volunteers" that had to be a certain height and then they went to London and were based at one of the London barracks where they were driiled etc. the contingencies were mixed regiments and werent from one particular unit.

Shirley