Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

German record/registation of Birth???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

porgie

porgie Report 3 Jul 2008 00:27

Can anyone tell me how I go about finding a birth in Germany. Limited information.

Otto Walter Moritz Kruger born 1880c in Germany (no idea where in Germany). Fathers name also Otto Kruger, fathers occupation Baker. Mothers details unknown.

Any advice greatly received. Thanks

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 3 Jul 2008 01:00

Is this his death reg?

Otto Kruger
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Year of Registration: 1910
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Age at Death: 30
District: St Pancras (1902-1977)
County: Greater London, London
Volume: 1b
Page: 85

If you think this is your man, then buy the death cert and find out who reg the death....Maybe he was Married?

Gerri x

Peter

Peter Report 3 Jul 2008 12:00

Georgina,

If you look at Top Tips at the left of this page then go into Advanced Search and enter, say, German genealogy, you will find plenty of helpful threads. There is also an Anglo-German genealogy society. I am sure it is on one of the threads but you can easily google it.

Peter

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 3 Jul 2008 14:18

Georgina

You may glean something from this site, here is the link

http://www.cyndislist.com/germany.htm#HowTo

George

porgie

porgie Report 4 Jul 2008 09:26

Thanks everyone for your advise.

Mrs Bucket - I found this death entry and I'm in the process of purchasing the certificate. He was married but interned soon after, so I am interested if this is him as my family assumed that he was shipped to Canada a few years into his internment which wouldnt work out because this would be 1912 two years after this Otto died????

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 4 Jul 2008 12:13

It is unfortunate that your man has a fairly common name in Germany - Kruger though Otto is not !

I have done a few searches and unable to find an Otto Kruger. Many people came from Germany in the mid-late 1800s as bakers and many are searchable on

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1057183

where you can see there are several Krugers.

Unfortunately you will not be able to get a certificate unless you know the year of birth and the town where the event took place - you would apply to the Standesamt of that town. An alternative , providing you know the town and religion, is to write to the church of that town and maybe get confirmation from the Parish Record.

porgie

porgie Report 6 Jul 2008 12:34

Angie - Thanks for this link I'm trying in now.
Thanks for your help everyone. I know its like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack but I am determined to find something.

Thanks again
Georgie x

Peter

Peter Report 7 Jul 2008 17:13

Marion,
n,
Peter