Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New IGI submissions. Anyone know about this?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 4 Jul 2008 10:12

Recently when in UK I picked up a leaflet in an LDS home saying that the IGI was accepting submissions on line to be included in the IGI records.

The article explained that this would cut out the probability of wrong info being submitted, (I assume they would need creditable authenticity, BMD, parish records etc. and not just I THINK aunty Nellie was born 1886 so I´ll just put that in!).

It went on to say that the new system would eliminate the repeating of the same entry (often more than twice, and is frustrating). Also entries would be accepted direct on line (though they didn´t explain if that meant sending info by exporting it).

I tried to find out more when in UK but couldn´t get hold of the person who wrote the article. I know a lot of you are LDS or visit the LDS Family History Libraries, I would be grateful if you could get back to me as I would be quite happy to add my own "certified" names to the IGI.

Thanks
Chica

PS I won´t be able to reply till this evening, but would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Ivy

Ivy Report 4 Jul 2008 13:11

Hi Chica,

Very interesting - I wonder if it relates to this news item I found just now on their website:

http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Home/News/frameset_news.asp

"14 May 2008

New functionality and enhancements promise numerous improvements

SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH—FamilySearch has teamed with FamilyLink.com, Inc. to improve the user experience of the Family History Library Catalog for millions of people worldwide by adding new Web 2.0 functionality and enhancements. The improvements will also enable users to spend research time more efficiently by directing them to the information that will generate the quickest results.

"... FamilyLink.com will also add an annotation feature that will encourage user contributions and make the catalog much more dynamic and current. Users will be able to add or suggest a new source, enhance an existing source by adding a place (location) or a time period, and rate and review a source based on its usefulness."

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 4 Jul 2008 21:13

Thanks Ivy for this extract. I´m sure it has to do
with what I read but it doesn´t exactly explain clearly does it? Do you think this would be like OneWorldTree where you can submit changes to an existing entry, if you understand what I mean?
Thanks
Chica

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 4 Jul 2008 23:45

Just read the whole article on the website Ivy mentioned. Sounds as though it could be a big improvement with the IGI. Will follow with interest.
chica

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 5 Jul 2008 00:29

It might prevent members adding information they have found on the census which we know can be wrong

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 5 Jul 2008 00:32

Yes, I´ve often written about mistakes on the census, my nana was Martha but census says Mary. Her birth cert says Martha and she was called after her mother Martha. No Mary.