Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with 1937 birth cert please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kim

kim Report 4 Jul 2008 16:38

Hi,
I have received a BC today and it looks a normal bc and the information contained is as I expected however in brackets handwritten at the side it says ('Adopted') then theres a signature and Deputy Supt Registrar.
Would this mean he was adopted after this bc was issued or that my grandfatehr adopted him?
I would expect that he was adopted as his mother died a year after he was born, but I'm confused as it doesn't say anything on neither of his siblings certs... one sister being 2 years older and a sister being a year younger and I have no idea what happened to them...
My grandfather was in the army at this time and then remarried.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Jul 2008 16:46

it means that he was later adopted the birth cert you see is his original birth cert

Rachel

Rachel Report 4 Jul 2008 17:46

The birth certificate would only give details of the child being registered, so there would be no mention of any siblings. The birth certificate you have gives the birth (pre adoption details).

kim

kim Report 6 Jul 2008 19:51

Great Thanks, That is as i thought. How would I go about traking down his post adoption details? is that even possible??

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Jul 2008 20:09

No Kim sadly its not possible for you to be privvy to any information regards the person adoption information,,only an adoptee can apply for this,

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jul 2008 20:55

If this was your grandfather's child and he remarried it could mean that the newly weds adopted him as a couple.?

I know it works the other way and if the natural mother later marries, her husband together with her can adopt her child....not sure if that could work for natural father too.

Gwyn

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 6 Jul 2008 22:40

When the first child of some friends was born she registered the birth by herself and because he wasn't present at the time of registration to verify he was the father he had to adopt his own child

dbspain

dbspain Report 8 Jul 2008 06:38

As you are a relative of the adopted child you could try norcap.org.uk, they are a contact register for adopted children and their relatives, they MIGHT be able to help you, you will have to pay to go on the register about £30.00 a few years ago.
Good Luck