Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspaper Photo, HELP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 4 Jul 2008 20:03

Hi,

I've been trying to contact the 'News of the World' through the 'contact us' email on their site, and my mail
keeps getting returned.

What I want is : A photo of my mother, sister and her infant daughter that appeared in the NOTW in 1936 after the death of the king as they watched the cortege carrying his body through the streets of London (I believe he was going to lie in State). The caption to the photo read " Three generations pay homage to the King".....He died Jan 20 1936 and was buried in Windsor Jan 28 1936

I only have one photo of my mother taken when I was a child, and as my mom and sister have both died I thought it would be great to have that photo. Especially for my sister's grandchildren.

Any suggestions or help please !!

Margaret

Potty

Potty Report 4 Jul 2008 20:07

You could try writing to them - the address is on the website.

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 4 Jul 2008 20:11

Thanks Potty,
Guess I'm a little impatient with snail mail in this Internet age.
I was just hoping that someone may have contacts, or offer a different way to search. There are so many 'Super Slueths' on here, I'm always surprised at some of the ideas they come up with.

Margaret

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 4 Jul 2008 21:36

The editions of the paper should be at the British Newspaper Library in Colindale -you can check their online catalogue to make sure. You can visit but they will also do a search and supply copies, although it is expensive.

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 4 Jul 2008 22:00

Thanks Anne. I will give that a go.
It's a little difficult to visit as I'm in California, and with the rate of currency exchange, .....my goodness...LOL

The other day I reqested an Electoral Roll look-up at Chiswick Library. The charge would be 33 pounds, that's almost $66. at todays rate. Needless to say, I didn't order it.

Margaret

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 4 Jul 2008 22:03

No, It was [email protected]
'it was News of the world.

Thanks,

Margaret

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 5 Jul 2008 01:31

Thanks LfW, I will give it a try. I missed the connection at first glance.
I did check the library site and they do have the archives for N of T.W. However at this point I am getting a little dipsy with searching so will leave it for another day.

Thanks everyone.

Margaret x