Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What Am I Doing Wrong?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

unsub

unsub Report 6 Jul 2008 20:00

I want to find out who Ellen Maria Lewis married. I looked on freebmd and found the following -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1907 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRIFFITHS David Henry Swansea 11a 1860
JOHN Thomas Saunders Swansea 11a 1860
JONES Catherine Swansea 11a 1860
LEWIS Ellen Maria Merthyr T 11a 1860
THOMAS Anne Swansea 11a 1860

I guess the Swansea people coupled up but who did Ellen marry?
And did I do it wrong to get this result? I had specified the area as Merthyr Tydfil and the time frame as 1904 - 1914.

Be grateful if someone could tell me how to find out who she married.

Thanks

Clair.
xx

Julie

Julie Report 6 Jul 2008 20:06

Ellen number should be 11a 1360

these are the other 3 for that Qtr, but to find her spouse you'll need the certificate

Annie Jones 1907 Oct-Nov-Dec Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire, Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan
View Record
John Hugh Williams 1907 Oct-Nov-Dec Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire, Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan
View Record
William John Williams 1907 Oct-Nov-Dec Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire, Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 6 Jul 2008 20:07

Hi Clair

Your next step is to buy the certificate using the details you have already found....

If you want to buy a BMD cert,heres how and here
is the addy where you can buy it online... (copy n paste the following...)

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

(tip)Never pay more than £7
(another tip) for a marriage,you only need
put one partners name when ordering.

If you are ordering online from the GRO,
make sure that when the form asks
"Is the full GRO reference known?"
that you tick the "yes" box.

Be very careful about other websites that charge more!

All the best

Gerri x

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 6 Jul 2008 20:08

You've done nothing wrong it's just the page number has been picked up as 1860 instead of 1360. She should be with these people

Annie Jones 1907 Oct-Nov-Dec Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire, Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan
View Record

John Hugh Williams 1907 Oct-Nov-Dec Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire, Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan
View Record

William John Williams 1907 Oct-Nov-Dec Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire, Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 6 Jul 2008 20:17

I agree with Julie (have double checked it on Ancestry)

Volume 11a
Page 1360

unsub

unsub Report 6 Jul 2008 20:18

Thanks everyone, glad to know i'm not doing it wrong.
She married a Williams anyway - which is strange as her older sister married a William Williams.
Off to order the cert now.

Thanks again.

xx

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 6 Jul 2008 20:22

When I was in school we had enough Jones' & Williams' to have at least 2 of each in every class!

unsub

unsub Report 6 Jul 2008 20:26

Lol, i bet. My whole tree is set in Wales so far and I have five Jones/Jones marriages so far. Also have Williams, Thomas and Davies to contend with - i am finding it very tough going!!

xx