Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted Girls 1972

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 8 Jul 2008 18:02

Hi, I'm trying to trace my sister who was adopted before I was born. I have her original birth certificate but know she has changed her name. What can I do?

Please help Kelly

Hilary

Hilary Report 8 Jul 2008 18:11

Hi Kelly, try www.missing-you.net
There is a section for adoption on this site. I know of someone who found his B.M. on there. Always worth a try. Good luck.
Hilary. xx

Chellie

Chellie Report 8 Jul 2008 20:15

Hello!

Otherwise you can put a letter in her social services file if you contact the social services adoption team for the area the adoption took place.
Also GRO have a contact register - see their website - where you can register your want for contact, if she's already registered herself as wanting contact they will swap contact details for you.
If they both fail you can either spend hours searching girls with the right DOB on websites such as Face book (trust me I did this - its doesn't get you far!!!), or pay an agency to search for her for you. Try NORCAP or After Adoption.
I'm helping my friend trace his sister who was adopted in 1971, we sent off the Norcap paperwork 2 days ago and are waiting to see if anything happens.

Michelle

Chellie

Chellie Report 8 Jul 2008 20:21

Also, make yourself easily findable. I assume you have a tree on Genes reunited with her parents names and her birth name on it in case she already has her original birth certificate and decides to have a look for them. Also could you convince parents to be listed on friends reunited??

Michelle