Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with terminology

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

smilerbabeuk

smilerbabeuk Report 8 Jul 2008 19:33

i have a ancestor who is on a ship in china in the 1901 census. he is listed as able seaman, but in little letters above his name is says supernumerary. does anyone know what this means? i have tried googling it, but cannot find a definition, just lots of other places that say it!
help greatly appreciated!
thanks
jo

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 8 Jul 2008 19:47

Websters online dictionary brings up "redundant" for supernumary.

Dictionary com brings up this:-

1. being in excess of the usual, proper, or prescribed number; additional; extra.
2. associated with a regular body or staff as an assistant or substitute in case of necessity.
–noun
3. a supernumerary or extra person or thing.
4. a supernumerary official or employee.
5. a person who appears in a play or film without speaking lines or as part of a crowd; walk-on; extra.

smilerbabeuk

smilerbabeuk Report 8 Jul 2008 19:54

now i'm really confused! this was in 1901, but he was in the navy all the way through WW1, so he wasn't redundant. bizarre!
thanks for your help anyway.
jo

Alistair

Alistair Report 8 Jul 2008 19:56

The closest equivalent today might be airline cabin staff on board the aircraft, but not on duty......just travelling to their next assignment.

Alistair

smilerbabeuk

smilerbabeuk Report 8 Jul 2008 20:27

got you. so all likelihood, that may not have been his regular ship.
thanks!
jo

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 8 Jul 2008 23:48

I agree with Elvie. It looks to me like a kind of 'under supervision' role like a cadet