Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What does S.A.G. mean as part of regiment details

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 8 Jul 2008 20:34

Hi,
On some records I have regiment Royal flying corps S.A.G.
Does anyone know what it stands for please.
Clare

alpine_saint

alpine_saint Report 8 Jul 2008 20:49

I just had a look on google, and this site (http://www.hazegray.org/faq/acr7.htm) indicates that it stands for Surface Action Group.

Hope that helps

Clare

Clare Report 8 Jul 2008 20:54

Hi,
O.K. Thanks, none the wiser but will look into it.
Clare

Alistair

Alistair Report 9 Jul 2008 09:45

Hi Clare

Not an expert, but Surface Action Group sounds a bit too modern for The Great War. Could it be SAC (Senior Aircraftsman)?

Alistair

Clare

Clare Report 10 Jul 2008 22:42

Hi Alistair,
Could be anything for all I know, Had a look at the site alpine saint mentioned and it does look like it could be surface action group but I don't know what that is really. In his records it says he was an aircraft mechanic. So wonder whether it could be what they called people who didn't fly the planes but worked on them.
With thanks for your suggestions.
Clare

Denis

Denis Report 11 Jul 2008 11:08

Surface Action Group is a term currently used in the US Navy and nothing to do with the Royal Flying Corps

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 11 Jul 2008 11:36

I would think it was SAC as mentioned before, this was a rank for mechanics.

Clare

Clare Report 11 Jul 2008 12:32

Thanks, for your input Keith, could well be, but definately looks like a G.
Clare

Clare

Clare Report 11 Jul 2008 14:22

Hi Jim,
Thanks for that site address very interesting some of them look like they should still be in school!
Clare

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 11 Jul 2008 14:34

Had another thought, I know in later years the RAF had a trade of Air Gunner, dont know about the RFC though, maybe it could be Senior Air Gunner?

Clare

Clare Report 11 Jul 2008 15:05

Hi Keith, thanks for your suggestion, not sure how I would find out for definate what it stood for. Managed to find this website of a diary where S.A.G. is used in context with the RFC'S but again it doesn't clarify what is mean't by it.
http://rareaviationphots.comdiary181.htm
Clare

Denis

Denis Report 12 Jul 2008 10:56

Possibly your best course of action would be to go on to the RAF Museum website and find the research option. They are particularly good at tackling these sort of questions for members of the public and I have used them with success.

Clare

Clare Report 12 Jul 2008 11:03

Thanks dancin' daisy and Denis, will give the museum ago.
Have tried googling lots of times royal flying corps s.a.g. very informitive info just can't see what I am looking for anywhere.
Clare