Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question re other people's trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 8 Jul 2008 21:17

Wonder if anyone can help with my query - someone has kindly shared their tree with me in the hope that the information there may be relevant. It is and contains more information than I could have dreamed off. Is there any etiquette in what information I copy into my own tree? Obviously I would name this person as my source but wonder not only about etiquette matters but at what stage do I draw the line in pulling information across? Eg children, grandchildren or great-grandchildren of the great great aunt related to me or what? Does this make sense?

ann

ann Report 8 Jul 2008 21:20

Seems like a very nice person.I would not take anything until i ask about her living people.I never ever put anyone elses living on gr tree.I have a private tree if i get permission to add and then they are all covered. Annie

Samantha

Samantha Report 8 Jul 2008 21:31

Thank you very much for your response! I have responded to her to say that it would turn out we are distant cousins - my living people are all hidden but hers aren't hence my question.

Sam

Julie

Julie Report 8 Jul 2008 21:32

Samantha

What a nice lady you are..most people would of just copied it, if you are unsure send them a PM and see what they say

Julie

Samantha

Samantha Report 8 Jul 2008 21:41

Thanks Julie - I just didn't want to be seen as cheeky! It's an awful lot of information really and just because someone has shared it doesn't mean it's right for me to copy it. I've sent her a message now and look forward to a response. I'm loving the fact that I've found a new family member (however distant) this quickly!

cheekychops

cheekychops Report 8 Jul 2008 22:51

I was recently contacted by a new 'rellie', glad to help allowed access to my tree. Now the rellie has copied my tree to theirs!!! I was courteous to ask family members if it was ok to include them on my tree, many agreed, but i am not happy that this person who asked to check their details against mine just decided to copy all my tree!! Lets face it many of us have taken months and in my case best part of 5 years putting my family tree together and with some major headaches along the way, skelatons aplenty, it would be b****y polite to ask if anyone could use any of someone elses tree!!! All you need to do is ask, and im sure you will get more than enough info!!!! Pity my rellie was not as polite as you, i'm sure you will have plenty of luck tracing your ancestors you never know we dont all just have trees to share.
Good Luck

Peter

Peter Report 8 Jul 2008 23:29

Samantha,

You are showing admirable politesse here and your informant is clearly a generous person too but I must raise a concern. I would never copy any detail of someone else's tree without checking it first by acquiring the relevant certificates and consulting the censuses. Unless you are certain the information is correct you may be entering the wrong people in your tree.

Peter

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 9 Jul 2008 00:30

I agree with Peter's concerns.

Apart from the odd mistake that gets logged ...time and time again Ive found my ancestors linked up with the wrong people on family trees with children added on that don't belong to them etc so I always double check before I add anything on to my own tree.

Petrina

Petrina Report 9 Jul 2008 09:47

Can you have 2 trees on here without paying 2 subscriptions?

Thelma

Thelma Report 9 Jul 2008 10:23

My wife and I have two memberships.This one is paid the other is not.
We could,if we wanted,have two separate trees both of which we could show to paying members.
We cannot view other trees from the free account.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 9 Jul 2008 10:42

I have a basic one on here and a full one on my computer but I also have seperated lines on tribal pages so that when I give someone acess they only have what is relevent to them and not the entire tree....which saves all the argie~bargie about name collecting.