Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

unconcecrated ground

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 9 Jul 2008 13:08

Can any one explain why people should be buried in unconcecrated ground? It was explained to me that paupers would be buried as such,yet many of my relatives who were poor, but not paupers are in unconcecrated graves,yet one g.g.g.uncle who was a pauper and died in an asylum is buried in concecrated ground.Please help!

thanks

Lynne

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 9 Jul 2008 13:11

I know that suicides were buried either in unconsecrated ground or on the (I think) north side of the church yard. Not sure when that practice stopped though.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 9 Jul 2008 13:12

Could be because of suicide or not of that faith or the fact that being poor meant a shared burial plot outside of church grounds.

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 9 Jul 2008 13:17

I was always led to believe that someone who hadn't been christened/baptized could not be buried in consecrated ground.
Although I don't know where I know that from

Ann

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 9 Jul 2008 13:54

Suicides were always buried in unconsecrated ground.

Dont know about those that had not been baptized or christined, years ago.

My Aunt who was born in 1904 and died 1944, was not baptized, but she was buried in consecrated ground.

Petrina

Petrina Report 9 Jul 2008 16:33

I have a number of relatives with "consecrated - no" against their burial records. I think it is from not being C of E. They were buried in cemetries and if you weren't C of E then you were non conformist.

Irene

Irene Report 9 Jul 2008 17:54

I have a friend, an elderly gentleman who said his wife gave birth to a still born baby and wanted it buried in the local churchyard. The vicar said the baby had to be buried in unconsecrated ground so it was buried outside the churchyard. Irene

Pam

Pam Report 9 Jul 2008 22:10

Apparently consecrated ground was for members of the Church of England

Unconsecrated was for Christians of other denominations, other faiths or no faith.

George

George Report 9 Jul 2008 22:17

I have a number in unconsecrated graves, what I believe they did was consecrate the ground after a certain number of burials.

chrisa

chrisa Report 9 Jul 2008 23:20

You might find this helpful or interesting

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Burial

Linda

Linda Report 9 Jul 2008 23:36

My Gt Grandfather commited Suicide, yet he was buried in consecrated ground

Linda. x

sandra114

sandra114 Report 10 Jul 2008 15:59

My mums cousin commited suicide during WW2 and she had to be buried in unconsecrated ground and the funeral had to take place after 4pm after the consecrated area of the grounds was closed for the day.

Sandra