Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 9 Jul 2008 18:38

Has anyone had a search done for a certificate at the GRO I had this email from them to day and wondered if I had to write in for a said search.

Thank you for your email.

We carry out a three year search for the £11.50 fee. If you wish to have
further years searched the cost is £3.00 extra per block of 3 years.

Does anyone know please thankyou

Margaret

Victoria

Victoria Report 9 Jul 2008 18:40

Margaret,

It would be better to put the details on the board that you need and the years, area etc and ask one of the kind people on here to search for you.

It costs nothing!

Best Wishes

Jane

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 9 Jul 2008 18:46

Hi Jane I have been looking for this death for six years other people have looked I can't find it at all he must have died away from where he was living, I have bought a few wrong certificates. So I thought if they searched I might be lucky thanks
Margaret

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Jul 2008 19:18

Yes Margaret I had to write in with detailed information of what I was looking for,how much I was enclosing and over what years I wanted the search,

At one time in the 1990.s your fee covered the 3 year search either side if you wasnt sure but gave full name.... but they changed to make a charge as a seperate service,!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Jul 2008 07:37

Unless GRO check the details on each certificate ( I don't think they do, do they?) wouldn't they only be looking at the same lists that others here can check?

Do you want to post the details and what you know about him?

Gwyn

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 10 Jul 2008 08:38

Thank you Kay and Gwyn so they do not check details of the certificate you are looking for. What is the point in paying £11..50, I have looked myself and many people have looked for me I also have had a search done at the local office where he lived. It just must have been a death that escaped being registered.

Margaret

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Jul 2008 08:42

Margaret
I don't know for a fact that they don't check as I've never needed to ask for a search.

Perhaps someone will be able to clarify the situation.

Did he definitely die in UK.?
He couldn't have been away on holiday perhaps abroad?

Gwyn

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 10 Jul 2008 12:04

Hi Gwyn. I beleive he died in the UK this was back in 1889-1891 don't think he would have been out of the country but might have been working away from home or in hospital have checked all the cemeteries in the area he lived no record of a burial. I have checked earlier records but with correct age for him I am at a loss.

Margaret

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 10 Jul 2008 12:34

Margaret, what have you got for him? If you give me as much info as poss I'll see if I can find him. I realise others have tried and failed and no doubt I will too but I'm willing to have a go.

(Can you tell I'm at a standstill with my lot at the mo?)

Irene

Irene Report 10 Jul 2008 17:43

I had a problem with one of my ancestors death. Much later an uncle died and among his papers was a funeral card for this person giving the actual date of his death. He died in Folkstone although lived in London. He was convalescencing from an illness. I did get there in the end but never would have checked this death record. Good luck, Irene