Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Software CD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rita

Rita Report 12 Jul 2008 03:38

I live in Canada and would like to purchase Family Tree Software on a CD so that I can pass my tree on to my grandchildren along with my memoir. Is it possible to transfer all the relatives on my Genes Reunited tree to a CD. Thank you to anyone that can help me with this.

Rita

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Jul 2008 10:17

Basically yes you can.

It is important to note that all Family Tree Software consists of two distinct and separate parts. First there is the program itself, which allows you to enter, view print and report your information and then there is the data itself.

One of the most popular tree programs is Family Tree Maker, which cost around 10GBP, or you could try one of the free programs such as PAF, available from the Family Search site which maintains the IGI,

Data is exported and distributed in the form of a gedcom file. This is simply a text file that formats the information in a specific and standard manner which can be read in later by other tree programs.

When you export your tree from GR you will receive the information in the form of a gedcom file.via email You then load the data into the Tree program previously installed on your PC.

To pass your information to others on CD, you can create a new gedcom file and save this to cd or email as an attachment. This will require the recipiant to have a Tree program on their pc in order to load it up.

Or, you could create a report from your tree program in the form of a word / text document or a pdf, and save this to cd. This can then be opened by anyone who has a word processor or pdf reader installed.

Rita

Rita Report 12 Jul 2008 13:14

Thanks you so much for responding. I have to admit that it all sounds a bit complicated to me. It might be easier for me, but much more time consuming, to buy the software and enter all of my "tree" info again. I'm curious as to what others do to make sure that their tree on GR gets passed on the future generations.

I could always print my tree but not all of the information is printed i.e. date of death and where born etc.

Thanks once again.

Rita