Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you use free BMD? OK FIXED NOW THANKS!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Jul 2008 12:57

I have been trying to search the surname Collins, they lived in Durham so I just entered the surname and area Durham but nothing came up for them. I know the lived in Durham. Am I on the correct website or am I doing it wrong? www.freebmd.org.uk

Betty

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jul 2008 13:00

depends what year you are looking at. they are transcribing now to the 1920.s but there are still gaps in the records not yet done

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Jul 2008 13:04

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for your reply, I was just trying to search anyone with the surname Collins in the bit that says Durham to June 1938.

Betty

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 12 Jul 2008 13:10

Have you clicked on All Types rather than choosing births or marriages etc.

FreeBMD has a limit to the number of entries it will display - might be 3000 - so it will not show the whole list if over that figure

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Jul 2008 13:14

Hi Glitter Baby,

I didn't put anything in just the surname Collins and Durham in the bit that says to June 1938

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 12 Jul 2008 13:15

Betty, as Shirley said, births, marraiges and deaths only show up to about 1927 at present, I am transcribing births in Q2 1927.
If you are only checking 1938, it will not be on there yet.
You have to choose either births, marriages or deaths in the box on the left at the top, as mentioned, if you start at 1837, there will be too many records to view if you search for all.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Jul 2008 13:18

If you put in Collins for Durham pre 1939, start date 1900 you get about 18 pages of names.

Apart from one death in 1961, there is nothing after 1929.

Records are reasonably up to date until 1928 or so, with some omissions for certain years, but rather sparse after that time unless the name has been submitted by a one name researcher.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Jul 2008 13:19

Hi Keath,

I went out of free BMD then logged back in again and it worked this time, will just have to play around with it a bit to find out exactly what you do but it came up with lots of COLLINS names so I will check them out.
Thanks everyone for their help!!

Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Jul 2008 13:21

Hi Peter,

I didn't put Birth, Marriage or Death, just left that blank. Just entered the surname Collins only in Durham. I have found lots of Collins in Durham now will just go and check if any are Mine, thanks for you info.

Betty