Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Londoners out there?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 12 Jul 2008 13:19

Hi i am trying to find information about St James' Square in London. I have a letter dated 1887 that has the address as St James' Square Notting Hill another postcard i have dated 1923 has the address as St James Square London and NOTTING HILL on the stamp.

When i have searched st james' square london on google information does come up from wikipedia but when i type in st james' square notting hill london that wikipedia page does not appear

are there two st james' squares in london or are they the same but it is not classed as being in notting hill any longer?

Thankyou
steph

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 12 Jul 2008 13:29

There is a St James Gardens in Notting Hill and a St James Church

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 12 Jul 2008 13:33

Apparently the now St James' Gardens was in the past called St James Square

http://www.historytalk.org/Notting%20Hill%20History%20Timeline/timelinechap3.pdf

wendynette

wendynette Report 12 Jul 2008 13:34

Hi
I am not from London but from what I remember St James Square, near St James Park is in Westminster. Notting hill is further west. (The other side of Hyde Park). I have no idea if they were the same district at one time. However having notting hill on the stamp on your second card could indicate that is was posted in Notthing hill but written in St. James Square !!
Sorry I can not help more
Wendy

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 12 Jul 2008 13:34

Thankyou devon dweller, hmmm i just dont know if the st james square coming up in wikipedia is the same one as i have on the letters surely it must be ?

thankyou!

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 12 Jul 2008 13:35

Take a look at that link. It's quite interesting :)

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 12 Jul 2008 13:46

Thankyou devon dweller that is very useful and if my ancestor wrote to the resident at st james square in london enquiring about her relative and he said he was not there she coulkd have been writing to the wrong st james' sqaure if there were two ? hmmmm

and thankyou very much wendy, its just on the letter the actual address is st james square notting hill, maybe they are not the same place after all!
more confusion!

Thanks steph

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 12 Jul 2008 13:56

Steph
St James Square Notting Hill was there in 1887 Im not sure when it was changed to St James Gardens but certainly street names are doubled up all over London along with boundry changes renaming of street etc