Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why would they marry twice?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Potty

Potty Report 16 Jul 2008 18:13

I know from a will that Penelope McKean married a James Wylie who lived in Duns, Berwickshire, Scotland. Before her marriage she lived with her parents in Liverpool.

BUT I have found two marriages for them. One in the last quarter of 1858 in Liverpool and one (IGI extracted) 30 Dec 1858 in Duns!

I know that sometimes soldiers married twice if the first marriage hadn't been authorised by the Army or if the marriage cert was lost, but James worked for the British Linen Bank in Duns.

Does anyone know if perhaps an English marriage wasn't recognised by the church in Scotland? Or any other ideas?

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 16 Jul 2008 18:38

Perhaps they got married down south but didn't want to offend his family back in Scotland so got married there too. If you ask someone on records if they could look up the scottish marriage for you on Scotlands people you could get a copy of the official entry. (If anyone has some spare credits)

Potty

Potty Report 16 Jul 2008 18:59

Thanks for that, Janet but he appears to have come from a different part of Scotland - I don't think his family lived in Duns.

I am trying to construct a family tree from an old will that has come into the possession of our local museum and it's the first time I have tried to go forwards rather than backwards but this family is proving far more interesting than my own!

I think I shall have to buy some credits on Scotlandspeople!

I am logging off now so if anyone else posts, I shall be back tomorrow.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 17 Jul 2008 00:47

If they were of different faiths they may have married twice just to make sure it was recognised by both.

In 1861 my G Grandfather was baptised in a catholic church in central London but had a Reverend sign the certificate.
It was still a very difficult time for anything other than C of E in England so probably the same in Scotland.

Potty

Potty Report 17 Jul 2008 12:07

Thanks, Cynthia and Devon Dweller. I think you may be right.

I have checked on Lancashire BMD and they were either married in the Registry Office or the Registrar attended, which seems to suggest that one or both of them were Catholic. I am trying to get onto Scotlandspeople to check out the Scottish marriage but have forgotten my user name!

Will have to see if the Museum's finances will run to buying the certs! It would certainly make an unusual exhibit.

mgnv

mgnv Report 17 Jul 2008 15:38

The IGI extracts are of marriages and banns, and they're not distinguished. I would presume that the marriage took place by banns in Liverpool at the bride's home parish, and that banns were also read in the groom's home parish.

Potty

Potty Report 17 Jul 2008 17:41

Thanks mgnv - that would make sense.