Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Still looking for a Chelsea pensioner

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 18 Jul 2008 11:29

My husband's great grandfather is listed in the 1881 census as a 'Chelsea Pensioner'. His occupation on his daughter's marriage certificate is 'soldier'. I've tried to find details of his army record but without any luck. Can anyone help? His name was John Kiernan and he was born in Ireland in about 1834. In 1881 he was living in Preston That's all I can find out about him. I can't find him on any other census. I'd be grateful for any input.
Thanks in advance
Barbara

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 18 Jul 2008 11:45

Why don't you have a look at this site, you may get lucky:

http://chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/home.asp

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Jul 2008 14:16

The only way to find out anything about his service is go to the National Archives or get someone to go for you. None of it is online.

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 18 Jul 2008 21:05

Hi,
If you go to the national archives website and search the catalogue, you should be able to find details of him under reference WO 97 (Royal Hospital Chelsea: Soldiers Service Documents).

You can then request the relevant service records to be sent to you through the site. I have done this and for a few quid, got loads of info.
Not sure if this is him on a quick glance?

WO 97/1069/401 JOHN KIERNAN Born RELSTON, Leitrim Served in 101st Foot Regiment Discharged aged 33 Years of enlistment and discharge are unknown.

Good luck
Sarah

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Jul 2008 21:34

Only those discharged up to 1854 are name searchable on the National Archives Catalogue - John Kiernan is too young to be listed.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 18 Jul 2008 22:06

Try his name on British origins. My grandfather isn't on the national archives but i checked BO spent the lookup money, paid an extra £10 and within days got his full service record. I got a physical description,his next of kin and loadsa of other stuff that proved to be invaluable.

Well worth the money

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 19 Jul 2008 08:46

You can't search for Chelsea pensioners records at the National archives at present because they are being digitalised and won.t be available for the next 3 years

Bren

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 19 Jul 2008 19:10

The WO97 series isn't going to be totally unavailable for 3 years! You can't order them in advance, though, and some may not be available if you go to Kew. There are SO many, they will have to do them gradually.

Barbara

Barbara Report 20 Jul 2008 09:35

Thanks to everyone for your contributions. I'll go through them and see what I can come up with.
Cheers
Barbara

Ivy

Ivy Report 20 Jul 2008 10:38

Hi Barbara,

Had you already spotted that he and his family are enumerated twice? I wonder if they were in the process of moving?

Name: John Kiernan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1834
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Catherine
Where born: Ireland

Civil Parish: Preston
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address: 10 Bk Lawson St
Condition as to marriage: Married

Registration district: Preston
Sub registration district: Trinity
ED, institution, or vessel: 12

Household Members:
Name Age
Catherine Kiernan 28
John Kiernan 47
Bridget Mc Lean 54
Mary Ann McLean

Class: RG11; Piece: 4228; Folio: 31; Page: 8

and also:

Name: John Kiernan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1834
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Cleattn.
Where born: Ireland

Civil Parish: Preston
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address: 3 Moss St Hse
Condition as to marriage: Married

Registration district: Preston
Sub registration district: St Peter
ED, institution, or vessel: 22

Household Members:
Name Age
Cleattn. Kiernan 29
John Kiernan 47
Mary Ann Kiernan
Margret Mc Clenn 51 - this one says mother-in-law

Class: RG11; Piece: 4236; Folio: 120; Page: 18

Ivy

Ivy Report 20 Jul 2008 10:51

A possible marriage, given they just have the one baby?

Marriages Jun 1880

Crook Elizabeth Preston 8e 783
Kiernan John Preston 8e 783 <<<<
Marshall Catherine Preston 8e 783 <<<<
SHARPLES James Preston 8e 783

(Same info from Lancs BMD site:

Place: Preston Register Office or Registrar Attended
Records at: Preston
Ref: PRESTON/68/43 )

Barbara

Barbara Report 20 Jul 2008 15:19

Hi Ivy
Yes I had spotted that, which was a bit confusing but I have Mary Ann's (his daughter) birth certificate and her mother was Catherine Marshall. The only other record of the family is in the 1901 census where Catherine, Mary Ann and another Catherine Kiernan are recorded in Fulwood workhouse. I also found a Margaret Mclean in the workhouse earlier. A bit of a mystery! An interesting clue is a photo taken in the twenties which has ' Kiernan cousins' written on the back. It belonged to my husband's aunt who would have been John's granddaughter.
I think I will have to send for John and Catherine's marriage certificate to get any further back.
Thanks for your help
Barbara