Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which are the best sites?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 20 Jul 2008 14:22

As a newbie, I have looked on various sites of which 99% ask for payments. Which site(s) do you suggest as I dont want to subscibe to them all, it will cost me a fortune.
Many thanks

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Jul 2008 14:23

Alot depends on whether you are interested in England & Wales, Scotland or overseas etc

Sue

Sue Report 20 Jul 2008 14:25

I'm interested in searches for England

Whirley

Whirley Report 20 Jul 2008 16:03

Hi Sue, I use Ancestry, I think it is well worth the money...

Heather

Heather Report 20 Jul 2008 16:14

Ancestry is the most useful site. Go to ancestry.co.uk - sign up for a 14 day free trial - you have to enter your card details but you can cancel before the 14 days are up - but I very much doubt you will want to.

Check out the tips for newbies, there is a lot of stuff free on the net and also google for everything aswell.

Mystified

Mystified Report 21 Jul 2008 19:47

Before you spend money, map out your tree with births/Marriages and deaths.
Now can you prove the dates? Have you got certificates from your existing family?
Depending on when they were born use free BMD or the free bmd's on ancestry.
Now I am afraid you will have to send for certs you haven't got, to prove the dates etc.
I would do this before you subscribe to any site. It will become obvious after a while which site you may wish to subscribe to.
If you have a lot of info then the IGI (type that into a search engine) is free and may help you pre 1900 but again verify there results as it is not 100% accurate.

John
PS Let me know if you need help