Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any good/easy way to clean a PC keyboard?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 21 Jul 2008 13:32

My son-in-law is going to take my old PC away to try and get it running again. However I have noticed that the keyboard is very dirty/sticky so I gave it a clean but some small bits of sweets/chocolate etc that my grandchildren must have been eating while at the PC are stuck inbetween the keys. Is there anyway to get these out, I have tried a small thin brush but they are stuck solid.
Anyone have any good ideas on how to remove them, please? I have tried turning it upside down and giving it a good bash but they wont budge.

Betty

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 21 Jul 2008 13:36

Just pop the keys out....try not to break..lol..
Flat screw driver...but be careful.

Paul

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 21 Jul 2008 13:38

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply, just how do you pop the keys out? as you say I don't want to break them, how would I get them off? They don't look like they come off just checked.

Betty

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 21 Jul 2008 13:46

They should come off.
Just ease a screw driver under the space button..preferably..both ends..and just gently level it up. It should just pop off.
Once you have one off ..the rest should be easier.
Just be gentle...
I have done this with mine.

Good Luck :)

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 21 Jul 2008 13:51

Ok thanks Paul,

I will give it a try and see how I get on, I think I just need to take off about 4 or 5 buttons that I can't manage to clean with a damp cloth. I appreciate your help thank you!!

Betty

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 21 Jul 2008 15:06

Hey!..no problem..glad to be of help :)

If it does go wrong..keyboards are cheap to pick up.
Should be able to pick one for well well under a £5.
Most supermarkets sell them now..

Regards
Paul x

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 21 Jul 2008 15:08

Ohh..you can buy flexible rubber coated keyboards..
Easy to clean...run under tap..lol..
Might be a little more expensive...but helps with keeping clean..Though a little odd to use at 1st.
:)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Jul 2008 20:47

try slightly moistened cotton buds .I clean my keyboard with them and it works ok

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 21 Jul 2008 21:48

Hi Paul,

How can you just run the rubber coated keyboards under the tap?
Couldn't that be a problem in case any water left on them when you plug them into the electric. Where do you buy the rubber coated keyboards then?

Shirley I will give that a try too never thought of cotton buds.

Thank you Betty

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 22 Jul 2008 07:10

C'mon Betty,

Didn't you ever ease off the sides of your Rubic Cube or are you too young to remember them................
Same idea, just don't forget where the keys came from in the first place !

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 22 Jul 2008 08:14

Hi Betty,

Copy and paste this link into your address bar..you will see what i mean about rubber keyboard.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145313