Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP-ANCESTRY

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 22 Jul 2008 18:46

Maybe its just me, but I feel I'm doing something wrong- when I use the ancestry site for early 1900s or late 1800s and previous, it doesn't seem to long trawling before you hit on something relevant.
But if I'm looking for something relating to the 1930s thru to the 60s re birth or marriage regardless of the info I type in it always seems to start in the 1840s with another 15,000 names to trawl thru and thats after I've gone directly to births or marriages with info.

Any tips because its driving me batty, same with the new ancestry.

Cheers Trace

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 22 Jul 2008 18:51

First lesson of tree buiding, patience ! Ancestry rolls along at its own pace, annoying isnt it !

Tracey

Tracey Report 22 Jul 2008 18:56

very!

Whats even better my marriage comes up on the first page, my birth seems totally lost, and two pages in I change sex then become a surname!

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Jul 2008 18:57

Are you looking at the FULL BMD's on Ancestry rather than the partial - which is the same as FreeBMD

You have to trawl through the images

Tracey

Tracey Report 22 Jul 2008 18:59

Glitterbaby,

Whats the difference? Full versus Partial?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Jul 2008 19:02

Ancestry has 3 lots of records

Complete BMD Index ranges & Images 1837-1983

Partial FreeBMD Indexes & Images 1837-1983

Complete BMD Indexes 1984-2005

The one listed as Partial is taken from FreeBMD but is up to approx 1920's

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Jul 2008 19:05

If you are searching for a marriage in the 1940's then you want the Complete 1837-1983

Put the first three letters of surname in box with *

Select a year and then hopefully you get at least 4 lots. Then you have to click on a quarter and view that image and then the next quarter until you find what you are looking for. Then repeat is all over again for the next year

Tracey

Tracey Report 22 Jul 2008 19:07

Glitter Baby,

Does the same rule apply for 1950s and 60s marriages and births?

chrisa

chrisa Report 22 Jul 2008 20:19

It does Tracey.

Tracey

Tracey Report 22 Jul 2008 22:55

Chrisa, thanks for that.