Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HOW TO SEARCH FOR ADDRESS ON ANCESTRY PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 27 Jul 2008 14:14

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to search for an address on Ancestry on the 1881 census. Do you have to have a name as well or is there an easier way to find out who lived at a certain address in 1881.

When I put an address in it either comes up with no matches or places all over the country and all I want is Manchester.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Marilyn

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 27 Jul 2008 14:17

A lot depends how the address is indexed. Road or Rd for example make a huge difference to the search engine.

If you know which parish or check the district descriptions you can go through image by image, it takes longer but is often more accurate.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 27 Jul 2008 14:50

Thanks a lot Glen

I think I will have to try the long winded way cos it wont work by doing anything else, comes up with all different places and nothing to do with what I have put in.

Thanks for your help

Marilyn

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 27 Jul 2008 16:10

The address search should work OK in 1881, assuming the road had the same name then. Do you want to post the address here, and someone can test it for you?

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 27 Jul 2008 16:13

I've just tested it by putting nothing for the name, Manchester for the civil parish and Deansgate for the street address, and it works fine.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 27 Jul 2008 16:14

Michael,

Not sure where you got your info about address searches.

Findmypast has 1841, 1861, 1871, 1891 and limited counties for 1901

National Archives has 1901

All Scottish census on Ancestry can be searched by address

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 27 Jul 2008 19:39

Sorry for the late reply, had company this afternoon.

Thanks for all your advice, just off to try again

Thanks again

Marilyn