Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maria

Maria Report 29 Jul 2008 15:24

Hi all,

sorry if I am missing something really obvious, but can anyone tell me why do I see so many marriage records where the 2 parties getting married both have the same surname, even when the name is not very common?

I am perplexed!

Thanks & regards, Maria xx

Liz

Liz Report 29 Jul 2008 15:25

Where are you seeing them?

Maria

Maria Report 29 Jul 2008 15:35

Hi Liz,

on the bmd register - I've been looking at it on findmypast but I can't get into it just now to give you an example as it's just gone down.

Maria

Maria Report 29 Jul 2008 15:45

Sorry,

I was just going to say I can't find any now but I've seen loads over the last few days, and I'd decided I must have been looking at births by accident.

No wonder my trees taking me so long.

I'm really sorry, and it's ok you can give me a quick slap :o(

Maria xx

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 29 Jul 2008 15:58

Sometimes it's cousins marrying - if it's more recent it's possible that the female has changed her name to her intended's surname before marriage, if pregnant, so that the child is registered with the father's surname only (hope that made sense). A sil of mine did that so that the child was only registered in the one surname and I've known of others doing it too. Makes finding their births a pain cos you don't know or remember what their original surname was :-))

Mary