Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BIRTHS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BeckyS

BeckyS Report 30 Jul 2008 23:40

Hi
I have been looking up family births and have noticed on some of the pages there are listed births just as (female) or (male) with record numbers. Can anyone tell me what this means?

Sorry to be a pest but I'm new to this and I like to understand.

Thanks
Becs

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 30 Jul 2008 23:48

Hi Becs,

Not 100% sure but maybe still born babies.

god bless them,

dee

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 30 Jul 2008 23:53

It means when the birth was registered the informant didn't give a name for the child, sometimes they didn't know the name, sometimes the child hadn't been named by the time the birth was registered. The informant of a birth isn't always a parent.

Occassionally you may find a death ref in listed as male or female that tallies with a birth in the same or previous quarter. Often when these un-named children were born they were very sickly and the family would sometimes not name a child if they thought it would not survive.

An example below from my tree

Births Jun 1879 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goulson Female Lincoln 7a 528

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deaths Jun 1879 (>99%)
Goulson Female 0 Lincoln 7a 338

BeckyS

BeckyS Report 30 Jul 2008 23:55

Thank you :-)

Becs