Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tips for beginner - how to search in Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 31 Jul 2008 07:37

I seem to be at a bit of a dead end with one branch of my family as they are all from Scotland - obviously the census and b md records are for England - any tips on how to access the same sort of information for Scotland?

Many thanks,

Emma

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 31 Jul 2008 07:42

Hi Emma,

BMD's on Scotlands People so are the census but then if you have Ancestry you can find the census there.

Betty

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 31 Jul 2008 07:50

ancestry.co.uk

Carries Scottish census information and although the the documents cannot be viewed they do have excellent transcribed detailsof all years.

scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Is a pay per view site which carries most BMD for Scotland.

John

John Report 31 Jul 2008 08:54

The Mormon website is free www.familysearch.org I use scotlandspeople.gov.uk which is very good and certificates can be printed from it. As far as I know the ancestry site is a lot more expensive.

Janice

Janice Report 31 Jul 2008 09:37

The pay-per-view Scotlandspeople site is the best and it is not expensive, especially compared to English certs - and the Scottish certs have much more info on them.
£6 buys 30 credits; you can search the indexes free but to view the results is 1 credit. By adjusting your search criteria it is often easy to narrow this down to one page. To view/download (effectively buy the cert) is 5 credits - or £1. So you can get 7 for the price of 1 English cert. Much cheaper than a trip to Edinburgh!
Janice

Emma

Emma Report 31 Jul 2008 10:32

Thanks for all this - think will need to buy some credits as have a real blank on this one - may need to pump family first though - so far we're not back far enough here for any census records unfortunately!

Will keep you all posted

William Edward

William Edward Report 31 Jul 2008 19:49

I am looking for my Mother & Fathers wedding but it
was post 1932 which is the limit for Scotlands People. I know where it was but not the exact date.
Where do I look

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 31 Jul 2008 20:08

William

For a copy of the extract for that date you would have to order the exrtact from the GRO for Scotland (GROS).

If you have credits for SP it will give the reference number to allow you to order the extract (certificate).

The cost of a later extract is £10 but you will get more details than an English cert.

Glen

Kevin

Kevin Report 31 Jul 2008 20:55

I have just started my family tree and i think my fathers parents come from scotland, i have looked on a scottish site and a birth certificate can cost around £25 is there any other cheaper ways of obtaining these. kevin

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 31 Jul 2008 21:18

Kevin

It sounds like you have found one of the bmd cert supply companies.

A scale of charges for certificates is given on the gros website document

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files1/family-records/su3.pdf

However,assuming the events were in Scotland, if your grandparents were born before 1906, married before 1932 or died before 1956 you can download the certificates from the scotlandspeople website. Cost is 5 credits for each download (equivalent to £1). Searches are free but to view the results cost 1 credit (20p).

For events after the dates quoted you need to order the certificates, they are not available to view online, obtaining them from the GROS directly is the cheapest way and avoids paying a "middleman".

Glen

Kay????

Kay???? Report 31 Jul 2008 23:05

Scotland marriages only go up as far as 1932,,anything beyond this year details will hve to be got through GRO in Edingboro,,or Glasgow,,,,,,

Census images can be got at ScotlandPeople,@5 credits,

Avril

Avril Report 4 Aug 2008 23:22

Thanks Avril