Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry DNA???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 31 Jul 2008 19:33

Has anyone else had this done?

My husband has purchased one of the kits or my for my birthday going to get my dad to do it, as he is the male person. Hoping it might help eventually with my elusive great grandfather.

Has anyone traced any ancestors with it?

J

J Report 31 Jul 2008 20:25

I cant see how this is going to help you unless you have a potential cousin or someone to compare it to. Unless this is the case then sorry but I think hubbys wasted his money.

I'm not an expert - I could be wrong, and they may have a good database but whats the chances of finding a match?

Sorry to be negative.

J

Heather

Heather Report 31 Jul 2008 20:36

Im afraid the press has blasted these tests recently.

Im not sure either how it will help find your great grandfather? It is just put on a data base and you may receive details of people with similar dna.(thats the full test - the lesser one just tells you a general area where your ancestors may have originated)

Someone over on family tree forum had it done - you could always put a thread on there?

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 31 Jul 2008 20:56

Have a look at Charlie Chuckles thread on General Board....it contains more info on the DNA thingy.

K
P.S. The thread is entitled "i'm excited n really impatient"

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 31 Jul 2008 21:17

I know it wont help with my great grandfather immediately, but as the database grows and more and more people add their data it is possible I may find someone with similiar DNA who might then give me a lead to find my Great Grandfather.

I was a recommended to try it by Anthony Adolph, as this particular person was an actor, so may of used a false name and I have searched for years and years extensively trying to find him but keep hitting brick walls.

However I am not having it done just for those reasons, it will be interesting to see where the paternal line stemed from. So in my eyes with the half price offer at the moment, it wont be a waste of money to me.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 31 Jul 2008 21:23

Siobhan I can fully understand you wanting this test done & knowing the story I wish you good luck.

J

J Report 31 Jul 2008 21:32

I hope you are successful, at least you are going in to it knowing it may take a while or may never happen. I wish you all the best of luck with it.

J

Heather

Heather Report 31 Jul 2008 21:50

Well it would be brilliant if it does find a match wouldnt it :)

Half price offer at the mo?

Is it worth putting his details on here again in case anyone can help?