Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Dad

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geoffery Dennis

Geoffery Dennis Report 1 Aug 2008 18:25

Hi all

Trying to find out dates for my dads birthday and death, all I can find is the quarter that my parents got married;
Name: Henry/Harry Bayliss
Married: Jul-Aug-Sept 1933
Married: Ada Maria Plumb
Could anyone shed any light on this, or just some info. would be great.

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 1 Aug 2008 18:26

Getting the marriage certificate will give you Henry's age and his father's name. That will help you find the correct birth certificate.

Where were they married?

Selena

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 1 Aug 2008 18:28

Do you have any idea of how old he was when he married? If not, if you buy the marriage cert it should have his age on there. Other than that it is a long trawl through the birth index year by year.

Mary

Geoffery Dennis

Geoffery Dennis Report 1 Aug 2008 18:31

They got married in Faversham Kent.

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 1 Aug 2008 18:34

Possible death if they remained in Kent?

Name: Harry Bayliss
Birth Date: 23 Mar 1911
Death Registration Month/Year: Jan 1987
Age at death (estimated): 75
Registration district: Tunbridge Wells
Inferred County: Kent
Volume: 16
Page: 2156

Geoffery Dennis

Geoffery Dennis Report 1 Aug 2008 18:37

Just found my marriage certificate and under the section of fathers name etc. it has his name and deceased written in small writing underneath, and I got married 14 Feb. 1970.

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 1 Aug 2008 18:40

Ahh, ok.....so you know that he died before 1970 because he wasn't present at your wedding. So it's a case of a year by year search - in what area was he living do you know?

Geoffery Dennis

Geoffery Dennis Report 1 Aug 2008 18:44

We think Chatham Kent but that is very sketchey, my mum has left alot of untold stories and truths,
my last memory of him would be Listmas Road Chatham we lived there he wasn't there all the time though!

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 1 Aug 2008 18:57

Geoffrey....do you know for CERTAIN that your father had died before you were married....or is that just what you had been told? Sorry, I don't mean that to sound rude, but it's not unknown for one parent to say that the other "was dead" for convenience sake.

Mary

Selena in South East London Report 1 Aug 2008 19:07

Did your dad have a middle name? Here are a couple of possibles

Births Mar 1909
BAYLISS Henry George Medway 2a 737

Births Mar 1912
Bayliss Henry J Garrod Dover 2a 2126 (Garrod is mothers maiden name)

Did your dad have any brothers or sisters?

Selena

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 1 Aug 2008 19:15

He's Henry G Bayliss for the marriage.

Rose

Selena in South East London Report 1 Aug 2008 19:20

Thanks Rose, so Henry George 1909 might be a possibility? Hope Geoffrey comes back with any possible siblings.

Selena

Victoria

Victoria Report 1 Aug 2008 19:45

These are also born in Medway

Record Name Year of Registration Quarter of Registration Mother's Maiden Name District County View Image
View Record
Albert G Bayliss 1923 Jan-Feb-Mar Chalkley Medway (1837-1941) Kent
View Record
George A Bayliss 1911 Apr-May-Jun Medway (1837-1941) Kent
View Record

Best Wishes
Jane

Geoffery Dennis

Geoffery Dennis Report 2 Aug 2008 10:50

Sorry not to reply straight away.
You have shed light on this for me between you thankyou very much. Yes my dad did have siblings and apparently it's quite a large family in the Chatham area but never been sure if it's the same family if you know what I mean!
Will look into the info. you have given me and let you know if we crack it or not my family has alot of unanswered questions.

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 2 Aug 2008 10:55

You cannot proceed with any degree of accuracy until you purchase the marriage cert............it will cost £7.00 if ordered on line from the GRO, using the info you posted in your first message

Michael

Michael Report 2 Aug 2008 18:05

The marriage certificate is the key to all of this.

It will have his age and an old address that may be useful. It will have witnesses names that again may be useful in confirming some identities you have found elsewhere. It will have his fathers name.

You said that your marriage certificate said your father was deceased under his name - this is because somebody told the person completing the register he was dead. It doesn't prove he was dead at that time.

Once you have your parents marriage certificate you should be able to track down some of his relatives and maybe discover a bit more about him.

Selena in South East London Report 2 Aug 2008 19:37

Geoffrey, if he had any younger siblings, they can be checked on the index for the area and the mother's maiden name. After 1911 the mothers maiden name is listed on the index.

Feel free to give the names of any siblings if you want the birth references. Or you can check for yourself on FreeBMD.

Selena