Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to connect two trees? Help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 3 Aug 2008 18:13

Hi I am trying to put two trees together -I had done my tree and my now husband's tree separate on Family Tree Maker 4 and only my tree is on Genes Reunited. I now want to add my husband to my tree and all his ancestors is this possible anyone, without adding each by hand?

If so please a step-by step guide would be greatful.

Thanks

Jo

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 3 Aug 2008 18:25

Do you want the whole lot together on your FTM or on GR.?

Glen

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 3 Aug 2008 18:25

Both if possible

Thanks

Jo

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 3 Aug 2008 18:34

Right

You really need to do it on FTM first but version 4 is relatively old now and i'm not sure exactly what the limits and features are.

The FTM programme you have needs to be able to export the files in GEDCOM format.

Do you know if it can do that?

I'm just nosing through the helpcentre but there isn't much info about version 4.

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 3 Aug 2008 18:38

Glen

Right ok, I will check through the Family Maker 4 and see what I can find.

I am pretty sure I can export the files in GEDCOM format as imported on GR

Jo

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 3 Aug 2008 18:39

Yeap just checked I have exported the tree to my email account in GEDCOM file before

Jo

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 3 Aug 2008 18:52

OK then

I just had a nose on the helpcentre.

In an ideal world you need to be able to merge the two trees together but vers 4 doesn't let you do that by the looks of it. There is a way round it but i can still see a problem.

This might sound a bit techy so bear with me,

FTM can make several different types of files.
.FTW files are the ordinary "working" file
.GED files are Gedcom files

I use FTM 2005, it can open any file from any version of FTM but your version 4 can't use the info from an .FTW file created in 2005.

There is a way i can make my 2005 version create a file suitable for your version 4 BUT...................

It means sending both files in .FTW format to me via e-mail, me merging the two together, save them in vers 4 compatible files and sending them back.

The problem is that the files might be too big to e-mail in the normal way, off hand i can't remember what my e-mail limit is.

If i convert them to gedcom format then i think that fouls it up too as 2005 will make them to the latest standard and your vers 4 won't accept them.

Ron at genealogyprinters will probably know better than me to be honest as he and Carol have done heaps of beta testing with FTM over the years.

Glen

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 3 Aug 2008 19:01

Glen

My files are absolutley massive -I have been looking through helpcentre as well and think there may be a way -gonna give it a go.

Jo

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 3 Aug 2008 19:03

Ok Jo

Just make sure that you have made a backup of both files first, that way if things go belly up you still have the original files safe and can revert back to them.

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 3 Aug 2008 19:06

Glen

I have managed it some how on family tree maker -just need to import into genes now.

Thanks for all your comments

JO

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 3 Aug 2008 19:17

No problem Jo

I didn't want to commit myself too much because i'm not that au fait with version 4, looks like some of the features aren't mentioned in the helpcentre.

Glen

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 3 Aug 2008 19:19

Well I have exported my genes reunited tree -but it is saying on Family Maker 4 ERROR -you may lose some info -now added husbands tree to my most updated tree and now fingers crossed going to import it on genes and hope that have not lost too much!!!

Think I need to chance it.

Jo

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 3 Aug 2008 21:57

There is a free version of the tree program I use (Genopro) on www.genopro.com

You might be able to import both trees onto Genopro.

If you can do that then I know that Genopro allows merging of trees and perhaps you could then try sending the combined one back into your usual program.

Good luck
Sue