Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WILLS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 4 Aug 2008 19:20

I have made great strides with my ancestry but now want to dive into the world of wills - hoping that this will provide me with more info - have any of you very experienced researchers got any tips as to the best way to approach this as I dont know where to start?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Aug 2008 19:24

Check out this website:-

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

Kath. x

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 4 Aug 2008 20:33

You can find pre-1858 PCC wills on the National Archives site and downolad them for £3.50:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/wills.asp

Your local Records Office will have local wills.

Otherwise, you can search the Probate Calendar at some Records Offices and large Probate Registries. If you find a will in the Calendar, you can send off to York for it (it'll cost £5).

Janet

Janet Report 6 Aug 2008 17:49

Thank you Kathleen and Mary for your good adivice - I will check these sources out

Once again thanks

Janet

Gigi

Gigi Report 6 Aug 2008 19:05

Hi Janet,

I would contact the Records Office of the area in question first. The one I dealt with (Carlisle RO) did a search there & then over the phone. The courts made a charge for this (the one in Exeter). I ordered 5 wills from Carlisle RO and the total amount charged was £12 which included postage to France! A lot better than paying £5 a will!!

Gillian

Janet

Janet Report 8 Aug 2008 11:49

Thanks Gigi

Very useful tip - I will give it a try

Regards
Janet