Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deed Poll or Adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 6 Aug 2008 20:32

Hi
Can anyone help me?
My father was born in 1934 illegitimately surname McHugh and father unknown on birth certificate. His mother married in 1935 and husband's name was Quinn. He may or may not have been the father. By the time my mother met him in the early 50's he was known as Quinn and his name on their marriage certificate was James McHugh Quinn. I know that nowadays you can change your name by deed poll but would he have had to have been adopted then to use the surname Quinn?

Heather

Heather Report 6 Aug 2008 21:40

You only have to use a name for non illegal purposes for it to be acceptable. The fact that he has mums name in the middle there suggests to me he wasnt adopted officially not changed his name by deed poll

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Aug 2008 16:04

If the husband Quinn was the father, one would think that perhaps the birth certificate would be ammended after the mother married.
As Heather suggests, James may have just taken the name of his stepfather by usage.
You could check the adoption register to see whether a James QUINN was adopted in the years between the 1935 marriage and his own marriage.
This won't show which family adopted any child, but the right name in a suitable area might make it more probable that it was your family.

Gwyn

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 8 Aug 2008 19:35

Thanks for the replies

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 10 Aug 2008 12:09

Hi Lorraine

Have you tried looking in the marriages for both McHugh and Quinn.

I have a family member who was born 'M' but when he was a child his name was informally changed to 'S'

However, when he married it is listed twice on GRO both in M and S with the same ref and page no.

Hope this helps.